Re: Re: [ai-philosophy] Re: [Serious Phil] Galen Strawson's panpsychism

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3, 2013
      Well, yes, and while that distinction is more or less self-evident,
      Quine went on to make a big deal out of the analytic-synthetic
      distinction.

      I think the way Leibniz distinguished necessary and contingent truth
      is nice, purely mathematical/logical definitions and ordinary
      definitions (that describe empirical discoveries nonetheless). There
      is a sense in which mathematical truths are not so eternal (because
      they are invented), but the distinction there is clear enough. I
      usually think Leibniz's philosophy is far advanced wrt the state of
      empirical findings back then.

      Best,

    • Roger Clough

        From: Eray Ozkural