Re: [Serious Phil] Galen Strawson's panpsychism

  • walto
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 3 9:53 AM
      --- In ai-philosophy@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:

      > Incidentally, there are several interesting papers on this stuff in the _Wittgenstein and Quine_ anthology (edited by Glock and Arrington). I believe it's available on-line at Scribd.

      From the John Canfield paper in the above-mentioned book:

      From early on Quine repudiates `mental entities', doing so on what
      he conceives of as broadly scientific grounds. Thus he writes in `On
      Mental Entities' (1952):

      "The issue is…whether…it is efficacious so to frame our
      conceptual scheme as to mark out a range of entities or units
      of a so-called mental kind in addition to the physical ones. My
      hypothesis, put forward in the spirit of a hypothesis of natural
      science, is that it is not efficacious." (FLPVa 214)

      In his latest writings Quine adheres to the tenor of his earlier claims,only complicating matters somewhat by adding in Davidson's thesis of anomalous monism. The basic idea is to identify mind with body, and the motive is still said to be broadly scientific: a matter of a simpler overall scheme of things. He puts the matter elegantly in Quiddities:

      "Every mental event reflects some bodily one…. Granted this
      much, it becomes a flagrant breach of…Ockham's maxim of
      parsimony to admit mind as a second substance at all…. Better
      to drop the duplication and just recognize mental activity as
      part of the activity of the body. It is only thus, indeed, that the
      enigma of mind-body interaction is disposed of." (Q 132)

      Thus, for example:

      "Each individual episode of someone's thinking about Vienna …is a
      neural event, which we could describe in strict neurological terms if
      we knew enough about the specific case and its mechanism." (Q 133)

      But this does not mean that any `mental predicate' such as `thinking
      about Vienna' or, to enter another example, `having the intention of
      going to Vienna', can be translated into physical terms. Rather the
      two classification systems, mental and physical, are incommensurate:

      "Mental events are physical, but mentalistic language classifies them in ways incommensurable with the classifications expressible in physiological language." (Q 133)

      ***********************

      Canfield goes on to distinguish Wittgenstein's views on these matters (which don't really coincide). In my post, I slopped them all together.

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 3 12:04 PM
        He is wrong of course.

        He should have stuck to his earlier love affair with behaviorism,
        which makes more sense.

        I had a dislike for Quine and Davidson both when I understood what
        anomalous monism really was. It was a pathetic attempt to assign to
        some terms in behaviorism an extra-scientific, mystical status.

        Therefore, I disagree with your analysis.

        By admitting anomalous monism, Quine *has* admitted creationism,
        whether he understands this or not. I think he kind of understands but
        pretends not to.

        Every valid psychological term is commensurate with physiological
        language. Countless experiments in neuroscience shows EXACTLY this,
        the psychological and neural terms are often used interchangeably,
        this causes no confusion, no misunderstanding, no unscientific
        consequences. Everyone communicates clearly.

        Invalid psychological terms OTOH cause confusion, thus they need to be
        refined with science, or eliminated altogether, like "consciousness",
        or say, "qualia" if we'd consider it a term of psych.

        Therefore, not only their stupid claims about predicate dualism are
        wrong. But I'd say that their non-reductionism, silly ideas about
        translation, etc. are all wrong. Their very foundation is made of
        sand.

        It's better to cleanse philosophy of Quine. If we quine Quine, we'll
        be pretty much set.

        Reductive physicalism is 100% true. There is no room for their
        imbecilic non-reductionism in science.

        Best,

        On Wed, Jul 3, 2013 at 7:53 PM, walto <calhorn@...> wrote:

        > --- In ai-philosophy@yahoogroups.com, "walto" <calhorn@...> wrote:
        >>
        >> Incidentally, there are several interesting papers on this stuff in the _Wittgenstein and Quine_ anthology (edited by Glock and Arrington). I believe it's available on-line at Scribd.

        > From the John Canfield paper in the above-mentioned book:
        >
        > From early on Quine repudiates `mental entities', doing so on what
        > he conceives of as broadly scientific grounds. Thus he writes in `On
        > Mental Entities' (1952):
        >
        > "The issue is…whether…it is efficacious so to frame our
        > conceptual scheme as to mark out a range of entities or units
        > of a so-called mental kind in addition to the physical ones. My
        > hypothesis, put forward in the spirit of a hypothesis of natural
        > science, is that it is not efficacious." (FLPVa 214)
        >
        > In his latest writings Quine adheres to the tenor of his earlier claims,only complicating matters somewhat by adding in Davidson's thesis of anomalous monism. The basic idea is to identify mind with body, and the motive is still said to be broadly scientific: a matter of a simpler overall scheme of things. He puts the matter elegantly in Quiddities:
        >
        > "Every mental event reflects some bodily one…. Granted this
        > much, it becomes a flagrant breach of…Ockham's maxim of
        > parsimony to admit mind as a second substance at all…. Better
        > to drop the duplication and just recognize mental activity as
        > part of the activity of the body. It is only thus, indeed, that the
        > enigma of mind-body interaction is disposed of." (Q 132)
        >
        > Thus, for example:
        >
        > "Each individual episode of someone's thinking about Vienna …is a
        > neural event, which we could describe in strict neurological terms if
        > we knew enough about the specific case and its mechanism." (Q 133)
        >
        > But this does not mean that any `mental predicate' such as `thinking
        > about Vienna' or, to enter another example, `having the intention of
        > going to Vienna', can be translated into physical terms. Rather the
        > two classification systems, mental and physical, are incommensurate:
        >
        > "Mental events are physical, but mentalistic language classifies them in ways incommensurable with the classifications expressible in physiological language." (Q 133)
        >
        > ***********************
        >
        > Canfield goes on to distinguish Wittgenstein's views on these matters (which don't really coincide). In my post, I slopped them all together.

        Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate. Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara
      • walto
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 3 12:26 PM
          --- In ai-philosophy@yahoogroups.com, Eray Ozkural <erayo@...> wrote:

          > He is wrong of course.
          >
          > He should have stuck to his earlier love affair with behaviorism,
          > which makes more sense.
          >
          > I had a dislike for Quine and Davidson both when I understood what
          > anomalous monism really was. It was a pathetic attempt to assign to
          > some terms in behaviorism an extra-scientific, mystical status.

          They're not mystical, they just contain ineliminable vagueness and ambiguity. They don't claim to have access to MORE than you have (items like God or angels), they're just more modest about human capabilities than you are. I.e., you think YOU are godlike and they think they aren't.

          Thinking about Vienna isn't reducible to some determinable set of brain states because it isn't a determinable set of mental states. That being the case, there's no fact of the matter of whether you and I are "thinking of exactly the same thing."

          You take a more religious view, however. It is that they, not agreeing that you are a god, must believe in some uncceptable idol, like Ba'al.

          > Therefore, I disagree with your analysis.
          >
          > By admitting anomalous monism, Quine *has* admitted creationism,
          > whether he understands this or not. I think he kind of understands but
          > pretends not to.

          Him being dead for quite some time, you have to admit that this is an awesome pretense on his part.

          > Every valid psychological term is commensurate with physiological
          > language. Countless experiments in neuroscience shows EXACTLY this,
          > the psychological and neural terms are often used interchangeably,
          > this causes no confusion, no misunderstanding, no unscientific
          > consequences. Everyone communicates clearly.

          If you define "valid psychological term" in such a way that each one is "commensurate with physiological language, you will not be able to cover the waterfront with "valid psychological terms". If you cover ALL mental activity (like thinking of Vienna), you will not find "valid psychological terms" handy. And, in spite of your conviction, there are NO experiments in neuroscience or anywhere else that provides any contrary evidence to THAT statement. Neuroscience will continue to discover correlations, but if there is no such "thing" as "thinking of Vienna" it cannot reduce "thinking of Vienna" to any set of neurological activities. That is simply a truth of logic.

          > Invalid psychological terms OTOH cause confusion, thus they need to be
          > refined with science, or eliminated altogether, like "consciousness",
          > or say, "qualia" if we'd consider it a term of psych.

          Sure, if you restrict your thesis to the items you actually CAN reduce, you can make your it true by definition. But until you can show that you can encompass all of psychology using only "valid psychological terms" you will not have effected a non-Davidsonian reduction. That, too is simply logic.

          > Therefore, not only their stupid claims about predicate dualism are
          > wrong. But I'd say that their non-reductionism, silly ideas about
          > translation, etc. are all wrong. Their very foundation is made of
          > sand.

          Saying something is wrong is one thing, having decent arguments is a little tougher.

          > It's better to cleanse philosophy of Quine. If we quine Quine, we'll
          > be pretty much set.
          >
          > Reductive physicalism is 100% true. There is no room for their
          > imbecilic non-reductionism in science.

          Ah, 100%! That IS special!

          When name-calling gets dubbed as a valid form of argumentation in other places besides The Gospel of Eray, you'll be in great shape.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 3 6:50 PM
            Well, yes, and while that distinction is more or less self-evident,
            Quine went on to make a big deal out of the analytic-synthetic
            distinction.

            I think the way Leibniz distinguished necessary and contingent truth
            is nice, purely mathematical/logical definitions and ordinary
            definitions (that describe empirical discoveries nonetheless). There
            is a sense in which mathematical truths are not so eternal (because
            they are invented), but the distinction there is clear enough. I
            usually think Leibniz's philosophy is far advanced wrt the state of
            empirical findings back then.

            Best,

          • Roger Clough

              From: Eray Ozkural