Re: [ai-philosophy] what is intelligence ?

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 28 10:34 AM
      Dear Roger,

      There are many such definitions. Here are is one from the AGI community.

      http://www.goertzel.org/papers/IntelligenceAndSelfModification.htm

      I think the agent-based definitions are wrong.

      Autonomy is not required I think. A database system can be intelligent, too.

      My working definition is based on inductive inference theory:

          A mechanism is intelligent iff it can predict the future.

      That's analytic enough I believe. I think it's better than agent-assuming def's because it's more general/mathematical.

      Regards,

      PS: I'm cross-posting to analytic where we have some quite knowledgeable people who can link to philosophical def's. Philosophy of intelligence is much more interesting than traditional philosophy of mind! Beware though, some would want to just insist on dualism there.

      On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 9:20 PM, Roger Clough <rclough@...> wrote:

      Hi ai-philosophy

      New to the group and am mainly interested in finding a
      reasonable definition of intelligence. It should also
      apply to living creatures, ai then being just a branch of that.

      My current definition is that intelligence is that, given some object,
      the object will be able to make autonomous decisions.

      Dr. Roger B Clough NIST (ret.) [1/1/2000]
      See my Leibniz site at

      --
      Eray Ozkural, PhD candidate.  Comp. Sci. Dept., Bilkent University, Ankara
    • Roger Clough