Re: [analytic] The Case for Non-Cognitivism

  • SWM
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 8, 2010
      --- In ai-philosophy@yahoogroups.com, Eray Ozkural <erayo@...> wrote:

      > The theory that morals are always based on emotion seems wrong to me.
      > Surely that doesn't conform to a rational theory of morals. (or ethics)

      But it may just be true that such a rational theory isn't in fact truly descriptive of how moral valuing works in us!

      > Accepting axioms isn't a matter of feeling

      Not in some contexts. But maybe it is in others? Moreover, one might distinguish between feelings on the one hand and suppositions and inclinations on the other. Perhaps the "feelings" are just an acompanying phenomenon that we happen to get along with certain suppositions and inclinations we happen to have. There is no reason to presume that feelings drive our choices in every case. They may just be important concomittants.

      > but it does involve the
      > unknown. However every useful rule of ethical/moral behavior would
      > develop naturally in an intelligent person and it has little to do
      > with accepting social norms.
      >
      > I reject the notion that morality is so relative. That's an excuse of
      > Nazis and the like.

      Even the worst person imaginable thinks he or she is doing right when he or she acts, even if they grant that the choices they make are not in accord with, or are in direct conflict with, certain accepted norms (the standards of choice relied on by others).

      > In fact I think being ethical requires you to detach yourself
      > emotionally from the rotten society. It's a society of maggots so why
      > respect it? If you lived in Nazi Germany what would being moral
      > require you to do? Is conscience made up of feelings or stupid selfish
      > reasoning? I don't think so.
      >
      > Most people are immoral because they are dumb and coward. Disgusting
      > human slime. Ewwww.

      That's both an emotive and a moral claim. To what extent do you think you can separate them?

      Would a conscious (or intelligent, if we want to separate this notion from the idea of being conscious) machine have to have feelings to be moral? Would it need to be able to empathize or would a system expressing or including a logical structure alone (a set of reasons that lead from one conclusion to the next) do the trick alone?

      Granted we should be able to program into machines various moral imperatives (do's and dont's) but is THAT what it means for us to be moral? If so, isn't that just to say it's a matter of our being conditioned or having some kind of inborn dispositions? But if THAT is true, then there isn't any basis for arguing with anyone to be morally good (in whatever way we take that to be) than otherwise, in which case the idea of moral claims as being defensible and a matter of rational choice goes straight out the window.

      And, of course, if that were the case, we couldn't just expect to take a sufficiently sophisticated AI and convince it to be moral (share our moral dispositions). Absent the right programming for specific moral choices, it would be entirely amoral.

      Any effort to produce a serious AI must take into account what it is that underlies human ethical (and other) value judgements,either to ensure that no resulting machine poses a threat to those values at some point down the road (as Bill Hibbard of the University of Wisconsin has written) or that such machines have the fullest range of capacities that we recognize as what it means to be conscious in ourselves.

      If successful AI is to lead to a better understanding of human mental life (the minds of humans), it must take account of all the elements we find in our lives and aim to replicate them as fully as possible. Only then will the AI project serve the larger purpose of enabling us to better understand how the human brain works and what human minds are.

      SWM