Bad analogies, metaphors and abstractions

    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2010
      (commenting on recent posts on analytic philosophy list, links to
      follow)

      Recently Jud and Georges have been engaging in a lot of social
      commentary.

      What is the problem with an abstraction like German or Jew (or Turk
      etc.) Is it because that it is a misuse of language to try to label
      people according to their ancestry?

      No. It is because these are abstractions that seem to intentionally
      abandon the essential information, in this case being human.

      After the Nazis and the Jewish atrocities against Palestanians it
      becomes harder to think of those words as related to 'human'.

      So, no you can't solve human problems by a purification of language.
      German or Jewish nationalists would still cling onto disgusting
      sentences of discrimination however perfectly expressed.

      And I feel that you can solve even less by saying that love is a
      fiction.

      What was it? Tender caring for another. Did not the Polish thinker
      consider that 'love' has multiple meanings? And what would happen if
      we cared for nobody but our pitiful selves?

      On the other hand exposing nationalists, religionists and imperialists
      for what they really are is worthwhile!

      Let's direct our analysis to the words that the so-called nation
      leaders, religion leaders and corporate tools speak, so as to
      humiliate them and expose their inferior motives. Let us dismantle
      their doublespeak and show their true face.

      Best,

      --
      Eray Ozkural
      http://myspace.com/arizanesil