Consciousness As Qualia

  • Fred Martin
    Message 1 of 39 , Oct 1, 2009
      IMO humans are not conscious. 'Consciousness' is a representation
      of brain state, similar to the qualia representation 'red'. In all such cases the
      attribute is an aspect of 'our' personal brain based virtual
      reality, that 'we' through genetically inherited category error, consider as
      'reality'. Thus there is a model based virtual consciousness, only.

      >Question : What do you mean by conscious if humans are not conscious?

      Answer :
      Brain functioning normally and not in 'sleep' mode.

      The subjective experience of 'consciousness' is a brain
      based 'model' of what is going on, not what is actually
      happening. Said 'model' includes the attribute 'conscious'
      as a representation. Just as there is no 'red' 'out there',
      there is no 'consciousness' 'in there', except virtually ie.
      model based. The model may be 'real', but it is not of reality,
      only representations thereof.
      This also explains all the confusion, folk talk, and hand waving on the
      topic.

      Other animals are in the same pragmatic posture.

      Deceit works, even self deceit.
    • Francisco Boni
      Message 39 of 39 , Oct 27, 2009
        Timothy E. Kennelly

        > Your claim seems to be that the conscious mind (or brain) constructs a reality which is false.

        You just realize that you are conscious after a volitional process,
        after something that, out of necessity, may triggered the need to
        receive and interpret internal and external input and then classify it
        with the conclusion: I'm conscious.

        But it's not an affirmation about the present, but a representation of
        the past. Every time you mentally perceive and/or vocalize it
        internally: 'I'm conscious', you are, in fact, saying that you are
        still CONSCIOUS. It's not like "I'm right now". It's more like "I'm
        still perceiving"

        Our reality is so false as the reality that we imagine about what's is
        like to be a bat. What's is like not to be perceiving? What's like not
        existing? Not existing is like having no memory, ergo, no feelings
        that you are perceiving.

        > If this is true, on what ground would we know it is true?

        If our reality is statistically fixed by rules, then it's a quite
        real. Can you study physics in your dream world? Can you come up with
        gravitational laws in the realm of existence inside your dream
        experiences? Can the spiritualists study statictically fixed laws in
        their ultra-conscious states? No. Everything is very random. So that
        world, be it generated by a external mind or by an immaterial world,
        seems to be extremely no useful. If most of our problems or theories
        or descriptions seems to be incomplete, yet sufficiently precise in
        this world, to solve many problems and create, predict many events,
        then the need for an external immaterial world seems to be devoid of
        necessity.

        Neuroscience is evolving without the immaterial.

        Is this sense, there's no self. The self is the information
        represented by the whole brain dancing at the same pace/rhythm

        Cheers,
        Francisco Boni