Neuroquantology

  • jrstern
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
      'They're here': The mechanism of poltergeist activity
      00:01 01 April 2008
      NewScientist.com news service
      Zeeya Merali

      The sight of small blonde girls watching television is guaranteed to
      strike fear into the heart of anyone who has watched the movie
      Poltergeist.

      We're right to be terrified, say physicists. Children generate
      poltergeist activity by channelling energy into the quantum
      mechanical vacuum.

      Pierro Brovetto, whose last known address was the Instituto Fisica
      Superiore, in Cagliari, Italy and his colleague Vera Maxia wanted to
      explain the origin of poltergeist phenomena, characterised by objects
      flying around the room "of their own accord".

      The researchers note that poltergeist encounters have been reported
      around the world and across different cultures, but tend to have one
      thing in common.

      "Poltergeist disturbances often occur in the neighbourhood of a
      pubescent child or a young woman," the authors note in their paper.

      So Brovetto and Maxia have come up with a mechanism to explain just
      how these women and children create such havoc. Like so many problems
      that arise in adolescence, puberty gets the blame.

      "Puberty is a modification of the child body which involves various
      organs, chiefly the brain," they state.

      Teenage telekinesis
      Brovetto and Maxia hypothesise that the changes in the brain that
      occur at puberty involve fluctuations in electron activity that, in
      rare cases, can create disturbances up to a few metres around the
      outside of the brain.

      These disturbances would be similar in character to the quantum
      mechanical fluctuations that physicists believe occur in the vacuum,
      in which "virtual" particle and antiparticle pairs pop up for a
      fleeting moment, before they annihilate each other and disappear
      again.

      Brovetto and Maxia believe that the extra fluctuations triggered by
      the pubescent brain would substantially enhance the presence of the
      virtual particles surrounding the person. This could slowly increase
      the pressure of air around them, moving objects and even sending them
      hurtling across the room.

      The poltergeist paper will appear in the journal Neuroquantology.
      http://www.neuroquantology.com/

      We contacted Brian Josephson, a Nobel laureate physicist who is on
      the editorial board of Neuroquantology.
      http://www.tcm.phy.cam.ac.uk/~bdj10/

      "This looks distinctly flaky to me," Josephson commented.

      Journal reference: www.arxiv.org/abs/0801.0382

      --
      http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13563-theyre-here-the-mechanism-
      of-poltergeist-activity.html

      Josh

      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .
      .

      ps - is this an "April Fools" post? I dunno, the neuroquantology
      site really exists!
    • Michael Olea
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 1, 2008
        On Apr 1, 2008, at 8:34 AM, jrstern wrote:
        > 'They're here': The mechanism of poltergeist activity
        > 00:01 01 April 2008
        > NewScientist.com news service
        > Zeeya Merali
        >
        > The sight of small blonde girls watching television is guaranteed to
        > strike fear into the heart of anyone who has watched the movie
        > Poltergeist.
        >
        > We're right to be terrified, say physicists. Children generate
        > poltergeist activity by channelling energy into the quantum
        > mechanical vacuum.

        Perhaps this adds a new dimension to the well known, if little
        discussed, preference of gentlemen for blondes:

        http://www.chass.utoronto.ca/~sousa/teach/rama.pdf