Re: the "Thor Gets A Hernia Argument"

  • FastDado
    Message 1 of 117 , Feb 1, 2008
      --- In ai-philosophy@yahoogroups.com, "John J. Gagne"
      <john_j_gagne@...> wrote:

      > FastDado said:
      > >
      > > Gramatic rules do not apply here but you still understand it.
      > >

      > JJG wrote:
      >
      > Hmmm, I think I disagree. They may not be standard rules of grammar,
      > but some kind of grammar non-the-less.

      Hi John,

      What kind of non-standard rules? Why is grammar so important?

      And...

      What is grammar anyway? Why is it so important? What is grammar of
      sign language for instance? And, how is sign language different from
      spoken/written language?

      I have some ideas what is underlying mechanism of grammar, but will
      wait with that for now...

      Davor
    • Michael Olea
      Message 117 of 117 , Nov 25, 2008
        Robin:
        Whoa, Batman! Look at that! It's like nothing I've ever seen before!

        Batman:
        Not true, Robin. The fact that you are seeing it at all means it
        shares at least one attribute with other things you have seen before,
        namely, it can be seen. By the way, I'm a little low on blood, could
        you regurgitate a pint? I will, of course, reciprocate when the
        tables are turned.

        Robin:
        Not now, Batman, Holy Direction Vector, that thing is moving towards us!

        Batman:
        You see, Robin, it has even more attributes you've seen before: it
        moves, and in a direction, no less.

        Robin:
        I think it's going to try to ram us!

        Batman:
        Attributing intentionality before the fact, Robin?

        Robin:
        Better safe than sorry!

        Batman:
        How do you know what is "safe" and what is "sorry", Robin except by
        analogy, except, that is, by similarities to Remembrance of Things Past?
        (Batman rummages through his utility belt for the works of Marcel
        Proust)

        Robin:
        DUCK!

        Batman:
        You see a quacking bird?

        Robin:
        No, I mean the verb, DUCK! NOW!

        Batman:
        Why? If this is such a novel experience, truly like nothing seen
        before, what possible "intelligent" reason could I have to select any
        action over any other, let alone choose to duck? For all I know, the
        best thing to do is stand up, take off my utility belt, and swing it
        over my head while screaming like a chicken.

        And that's exactly what Batman did. And the "thing", never seen
        before, instead of crashing full force into the standing bat,
        evanesced into the ether, leaving behind a sprinkling of lime-drop
        gummy bears.

        -- M.