Basic Question re Machine Vision

  • Mike Tintner
    Message 1 of 118 , Jun 1, 2007
      Can I ask a really basic, ignorant question re machine vision? (I've been struggling with various books on it, and the question/ issue isn't really, clearly put up front).

      It's this: computers can't really handle shapes, can they?  They 'see' digital images - arrays of points - which are then analysed and compared with highly sophisticated and complicated maths.

      So they can't really compare shapes? - can't simply literally overlay one shape on top of another to see if they loosely fit in an instant? - can't really, directly handle analog images?

      Doesn't the brain do that?
    • Anssi Hyytiäinen
      Message 118 of 118 , Jun 18, 2007
        feedbackdroids wrote:

        > > The interesting thing is though the fact that we need to take a
        > wide
        > > area of activity into account, and somehow that wide area binds
        > into a
        > > single subjective experience. That alone places pretty strict
        > > constraints to our ideas of reality.
        > >

        > Likewise, with a computer, you can bind together a wide area of
        > activity into a single reasoning stream, internal world model, and
        > behavioral output, and without worrying about making the thing be
        > conscious or have subjective anything. The result is that the robot
        > can "do" something, whether or not it can "feel" anything, in your
        > subjective sense.

        Then it seems like our philosophies are very much alike. I do assume
        that a robot can be made to categorize reality into sensible things and
        it can form a conception about self and it could as a result have a
        subjective experience. I just can't explain how, instead I assume that
        reality simply is such a place where this sort of turn of events is
        possible.

        So, much like in a computer a wide area of activity "binds" in the sense
        that that wide area of activity can be expressing a single "logical
        thing", I've been saying that our subjective experience is a result of
        the brain expressing reality by its configuration. Even when I imagine
        how "a brain is expressing reality by its configuration".

        After all, there are some pretty good evolutionary reasons for it to do
        so (to be able to draw predictions).

        -Anssi