18586Re: [MAGIC-list] Re: Intelligent Interstellar Probes

    Sep 28, 2013
      On Sat, Sep 28, 2013 at 2:14 AM, Gabriel Leuenberger
      <gabriel.leuenberger@...> wrote:
      > Wow 0.5c that's fast. Nice presentation, I learned some things.
      > The Target Selection slide is strange: it makes it look like two different
      > stars have equally sized habitable zones.

      Thanks. That speed depends on the quantum vacuum plasma thruster,
      which might or might not work.

      Here is tech we can build right away:
      http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fission-fragment_rocket

      The illustrations are from PHL, take a look at how they visualize the
      habitable zone

      http://phl.upr.edu/

      They might be normalizing the range

      > Some questions:
      > Would it be cheaper to gather the same scientific data by very large
      > telescopes instead of an interstellar mission?

      I don't know, but I don't think you can get the same scientific data.
      We can even map the planets' surface or land on the planets, etc.

      > Would the Bussard Ramjet or other magnetic confinement fusion engines be
      > unfeasible?

      Ramject doesn't work due to drag, MCF could work, but for which type
      of propulsion system?

      > Did you check if the transmission rate of your interstellar communication
      > system is big enough?

      Yes, it should be enough but a larger dish would do better, we can
      send a bigger inflatable dish, that's not a problem. But I suppose
      more research is needed on that although the mylar dish is pretty good
      as it is.

      > Why not use gravitational lensing for laser communication too?

      I've asked the authors of FOCAL proposal about that, the answer was
      not that clear, it needs calculations. I suppose it's an open problem.

      Best,