Re: Re: GEOSTATS: arcview & kriging

  • Angel Utset Suastegui
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 31, 1969
      Dear Dubois and everybody:

      I am in a similar situation. I decided to use only GeoEAS in my
      geostatistical basic-courses (about a week or two week) cause it is a
      relatively simply software and you can do everything you want
      with it (except co-kriging). I recommend variowin only for the most
      advanced students.
      There are several other geostatistics packages (we have one of them,
      called GEOESTAD), but they are not very known. The best solution I
      think is to develop a more-friendly program based on GSLIB. We are
      trying to do that for Windows.

      ---
      Dr. Angel Utset
      Grupo de Investigaciones Agrofisicas
      ISCAH, Apdo 18
      San Jose de las Lajas
      Habana 32700
      Cuba
      Phone (53)(64) 63013 ext 278
      (53)(7) 401159
      FAX (53)(7) 240942

    • Gregoire Dubois
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 9, 1998
        Dear Michel,

        I wouldn't recommend to use Arcview for Geostatistics unless the
        Spatial Analyst module has new major differences with the Grid module
        of Arc/Info on which it has been based.
        Esri has until now unfortunately always considered geostats as a black box.
        As a consequence, the user can't have any usefull information about the
        kriging method used (point or block kriging ?) and has no possibility to
        interact with the semivariogram (no h-scatterplots, no control on the lags,
        nugget effect, the direction, the model since it is more or less
        automatically fitted, no anisotropy...). I may be wrong but this was my
        last experience with this (=/- a year ago).
        I have put on the SOFTFAQ few links to Avenue source codes that may help
        you but I haven't had the time to check them out.
        I would personally suggest to use use a combination of two tools:
        1) Surfer for the display/analysis of maps and data and for the final
        interpolation
        2) Variowin for the variogram analysis.
        The parameters of the variogram model defined with Variowin can be properly
        stored in Surfer.
        Last but not least, the online help is in both cases properly made. Both
        are really intuitive tools and can so speed up the course. I have
        experienced teaching 10 hours with these tools and found such solution
        as the best compromise.

        Arcview has however far better tools and functions for the interactivity
        with the data which is also essential. I think your choice should depend
        on where to put the emphasis on: Gis or Geostatistics ?

        These are my 5 cents thoughts.

        I hope this helps a bit.

        Vriendelijke Groeten uit Italie,

        Gregoire

        --

        Gregoire Dubois Tel. 39-(0)332-78.99.44
        Joint Research Centre Fax. 39-(0)332-78.54.66