Re: GEOSTATS: Spatial analysis of animal behaviour

  • F D Murtagh
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 3, 1998
      > I am an animal ecologist, studying how animals respond to
      > their environment at various spatial scales. While I have

      > is closer to what the animals are doing. Are there any
      > geostatistical techniques that I can use? How to I compare analyses
      > done at different spatial scales when variances are a function of
      > sampling site size?
      >
      > Or, can we transform results from one way of viewing spatial scale to
      > the other?

      Maybe have a look at recently published

      "Image and Data Analysis: the Multiscale Approach", JL Starck, F Murtagh
      and A Bijaoui, Cambridge Univ Press, 1998.

      (See CUP sites http://www.cup.cam.ac.uk or http://www.cup.org to order
      - use author names or book title in online catalog).

      A software package is available which supports noise modeling and data
      filtering including Gaussian, Poisson, low-count Poisson, non-stationary,
      heteroskedastic (variable variation), and other cases. It also supports
      visualization etc. Details are at
      http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/multires

      Maybe also of interest

      - "Pattern clustering based on noise modeling in wavelet space", F Murtagh
      and JL Starck, Pattern Recognition, 31, 847-855, 1998

      - a paper entitled "Spatial representation of economic and financial
      measures used in agriculture via wavelet analysis", M Morehart, F
      Murtagh and JL Starck, is nearing completion.

      Regards,

      Prof. Fionn Murtagh, Fac. Informatics, Univ. Ulster, BT48 7JL, Nth. Ireland
      Email fd.murtagh@... URL http://www.infm.ulst.ac.uk/~fionn

    • Duane F. Marble
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 3, 1998
        Some interesting GIS tools are available from the Alaska Biological
        Sciences Center at Glacier Bay National Park. They may be found at:

        http://www.absc.usgs.gov/glba/gistools/index.htm

        A brief description of the animal movement portions follows:

        Animal Movement is an ArcView extension that contains a collection of over
        32 functions specifically designed to aid in the analysis of animal movement. This data could be collected from
        radio tags, sonic tags, Argos satellite tags or observational data.

        The program is designed to implement a wide variety of animal
        movement functions in an integrated GIS environment. The
        program also has significant utility for analyzing other point
        phenomena. See online documentation for a full description of each
        function. This program comes in two versions one requiring Spatial
        Analyst.(full implementation) and the other requiring only ArcView
        (several functions disabled).

        Professor Emeritus Duane F. Marble * **** E-mail: marble.1@...
        Dept. of Geography Home Page: http://www.geography.ohio-state.edu
        and The Center for Mapping
        The Ohio State University Phone: (614) 292-3409 (CFM) or 292-2250 (Geog)
        Columbus, OH 43210 Fax: (614) 292-8062 (CFM) or 292-6213 (Geog)
        "Nullum Gratuitum Prandium"