RE: GEOSTATS: categorical variogram analysis

  • Jack Murphy
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 20, 1998
      Hello Yetta,
      You may want to give Sage95 a look. It is developed by Isaaks & Co. (Ed Isaaks). I evaluated this program last year and found it extremely interesting in that it automatically fits multiple variograms (37 total) to define the fully 3-dimensional variogram. You may have to specify your categories as binary indicators before you start (I can't say for sure,...it's been a while), but it does use a least squares approach to best-fit a variogram through each of the 37 vectors. You may constrain any or all of the parameters. For example, you can 'set' the range and rotation angle and it will leave those intact while it automatically determines values for the rest of the unconstrained parameters. It also allows for 'weighting' the fit by the number of pairs associated with each point. We used the variogram model parameters as input to our 3D modeling and visualization software: called EVS.

      Last I checked he was offering a 30-90 day trial period for free: http://www.isaaks.com

      hope this is helpful,
      Jack