GEOSTATS: Re: Estimating Confidence Limits

  • Satoshi HONDA
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 24 10:08 PM
      I am a fisheries resercher in japan and developping/improving stock
      assessment method of fisheries resources. I want to estimate precise
      abundance and its confidence interval (or confidense limit) of the stock by
      applying geostatistical techniques (especially one dimensional transitive
      theory) into an acoustic survey data.
      Like Mr. William C. Thayer, I am also curious whether we can sestimate
      confidence limit of the estimated density/quantity (e.g. 90% or 95%
      confidence interval of the estimator) from [estimation variance] which was
      derived by geostatistics.
      In the classical statistics, it can derive both abundance estimator and
      its confidence limit. When we use this method, we suppose that the
      estimator may be distributed like normal distribution.
      On the contrary, geostatistcs do not have any assumption on the
      distribution pattern of the estimator (estimated density or quantity),
      hence I think we should not apply common method of calculating [confidence
      interval] from the [estimation variance] derived by geostatistics.

      Does anyone know whether we can estimate confidencial limit of the
      estimator using [estimation variance] derived by geostatistics? If it's
      possible, how can we calculate/estimate it?

      If you know any informations, suggestions or papers which explain the
      matter, please teach me.

      Thanks in advance.
      Satoshi Honda Hokkaido Natl.Fish.Res.Inst.
      116,Katsurakoi,Kushiro,Hokkaido,085 JAPAN
      Phone:+81-154-91-9136, Fax:+81-154-91-9355
      E-mail:ponch@...