GEOSTATS: cellular automata

  • Yoshiro Nagao
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 19, 1998
      Hello

      I hear some scientists are talking about "cellular automata"
      to explain spatial process, e.g., distribution of insects.

      Is that some kind of "life game"?

      On the other hand, some are using "differential equation",
      to predict the change of such equation.

      Actually I remember I learned finite element method which
      used differential equation in engineering courses, though
      I failed to master it.

      What are the pros and cons of these methods, cellular automata,
      life game, or differential equation, in explaining/predicting
      the bio-spatial process, compared to geostatistics?