GEOSTATS: Estimating Confidence Limits

  • William C. Thayer
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 1998
      I am looking for references that address problems/solutions associated
      with estimating confidence intervals and population statistics using
      data that do not fit a normal or lognormal distribution. To put it
      another way, I am interested in identifying references that address the
      bias and variance of the population mean and variance estimators that
      rely on the normal/lognormal assumption when the assumption is not
      valid. I am particularly interested in the use of Land's method for log
      transformed data when the fit is poor (but better than the fit of the
      untransformed data) .
      I am writing a thesis that involves comparing spatial methods
      (parametric and non-parametric) of estimating confidence intervals to
      the method (based on Land, C.E.) included in EPA risk assessment
      guidance for normally and lognormally distributed data. Most of the
      data I am using does not appear to fit a normal or lognormal
      distribution.
      All responses will be greatly appreciated,
      Bill Thayer
      SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry