GEOSTATS: Data Translation

  • rchao@dccusa.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 2, 1998
      I work with map data from a wide array of sources that comes in several formats (ArcView, ArcInfo, MapInfo, AutoCAD, etc.), different projections, datums, and/or coordinate systems. I am looking for advice on how to best combine map data from these different sources and formats into a single display. In particular, how to reproject maps or unproject map data? I've looked into FME, a data translator by FME and would like to hear from others.

      Thanks,
      Robert Chao
    • Chuck Ellis
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 2, 1998
        I have the FME Pro version and am extremely impressed with it. The GUI is,
        however, limited to a few of the major translations, so you need to learn
        the product's scripting language to take full advantage of it. This is not
        at all easy or even intuitive, but is certainly worth it. Beware of the
        generalization tools-- it has quite consistently mangled any polygon
        topology I have thrown at it.

        Chuck Ellis
        MaconUSA

        >I work with map data from a wide array of sources that comes in several
        formats (ArcView, ArcInfo, MapInfo, AutoCAD, etc.), different projections,
        datums, and/or coordinate systems. I am looking for advice on how to best
        combine map data from these different sources and formats into a single
        display. In particular, how to reproject maps or unproject map data? I've
        looked into FME, a data translator by FME and would like to hear from
        others.

        >Thanks,
        >Robert Chao
        >--
        >*As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
        >of any useful responses to your questions.

      • Philip Sargent
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 6, 1998
          There are loads of commercial OCX components that purported to do this sort
          of thing, but there seems to have been a market shake-out and many web
          pages have vanished in the past 6 months. Some are still there, but not
          quite what you want, e.g. $800 will buy
          http://www.bluemarblegeo.com/apptranf.htm

          Mizar have good information on their product, but it seems to be only a
          microstation add-on:
          http://saturn.bentley.com/products/geocoord/techspec.htm

          Look through these lists:
          http://www.wessex.com/OCX/pl.htm
          http://www.sylvanmaps.com/toolchst.htm

          I haven't used any of these, but I attempted to do a survey of this type of
          product a year ago.
          --Philip Sargent
          Visiting Scientist. # 135, Edificio 26a. TP 262, JRC, 21020 Ispra (VA),
          Italia
          Opinions expressed are my own and certainly not those of the JRC.