GEOSTATS: Kriging software

  • Andrew Swales
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 10 3:01 PM
      Dear Geostatisticians,

      I am a coastal scientist new to both geostatistics and this list. I
      wish to surface a 500 m length of beach based on profiles, surveyed
      at 30 m intervals, using Kriging and then compute beach volumes
      within specified boxes. The SURFER software (version 6) implements
      Kriging (and volume calculations) but does not appear to provide the
      error variance for each computed grid node value, even though the
      kriging weights have been calculated.

      Can anyone suggest a PC based software package that will
      provide the error variance and has good graphical tools (similar to
      SURFER). I am using the Variowin 2.2 software to model the
      semi-variograms.

      thanks in advance

      Andrew Swales
      email: a.swales@...

      Andrew Swales
      National Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research
      Box 11-115, Hamilton, New Zealand
      Ph. +64-7-856 1761, Fax +64-7-856 0151
      eMail a.swales@...
    • Jurgen Herbschleb
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 11 1:25 AM
        > Can anyone suggest a PC based software package that will
        > provide the error variance and has good graphical tools (similar to
        > SURFER). I am using the Variowin 2.2 software to model the
        > semi-variograms.
        You may like to take a look at the program GMS. GMS has good
        visualisation tools and geostatistics, including (semi)variogram
        modelling.

        For information: http://www.terraware.nl/

        Kind Regards,

        Jurgen Herbschleb

        TerraWare Email: info@...
        Noordeinde 18a WWW: http://www.terraware.nl
        P.O. Box 621 Tel: +31-(0)70-346 4764
        2514 GH The Hague Fax: +31-(0)70-364 9916
        The Netherlands
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 11 5:08 AM
          Andrew Swales posted the following:

          > Dear Geostatisticians,
          >
          > I am a coastal scientist new to both geostatistics and this list. I wish to
          surface a 500 m length of beach based on profiles, surveyed at 30 m
          intervals, using Kriging and then compute beach volumes within specified
          boxes. The SURFER software (version 6) implements Kriging (and volume
          calculations) but does not appear to provide the error variance for each
          computed grid node value, even though the kriging weights have been
          calculated.

          > Can anyone suggest a PC based software package that will provide the error
          variance and has good graphical tools (similar to SURFER). I am using the
          Variowin 2.2 software to model the semi-variograms.

          > thanks in advance
          >
          > Andrew Swales email: a.swales@...
          >
          > ------------------------------------------------- Andrew Swales National
          >Institute of Water & Atmospheric Research Box 11-115, Hamilton, New Zealand
          >Ph. +64-7-856 1761, Fax +64-7-856 0151 eMail a.swales@...

          Andrew,

          I heartily recommend the GeoEAS package. It is a public domain package
          produced several years ago by the US EPA under the supervision of EPA
          geostatisticians at (what was then) Environmental Monitoring and Support
          Laboratory - Las Vegas. DOS, VMS and, I believe, UNIX versions are available.

          Another reasonable possibility, if you have SPLUS, is the SPLUS Spatial Stats
          package. I have had GeoEAS and the SPLUS package for several years. I still
          tend to use GeoEAS more.

          John Carson (carson@...)
          Sr. Project Statistician
          OHM Remediation Services Corp.