GEOSTATS: 10,000 valued 2-D points

  • Umberto Fracassi
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 10, 1997
      >Friends,
      > I have 10,000 valued 2-D points and want to draw contours through the
      >data. Does anyone know of a contouring program existing outside a GIS?
      >

      > Charlie Hendricksen veritas@...
      >
      >--
      >*As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
      >of any useful responses to your questions.

      Charles,

      on the freeware side, you can try GMT (Generic Mapping Tools, by Pal
      Wassel, now at U of Hawaii). It runs on most unix platforms as far as I
      know and seems to be quite an impressive package, although I have no direct
      experience on it. You can download it from ftp://kiawe.soest.hawaii.edu (if
      I ain't wrong!) or else you can consult the UoH webpage (tryu
      http://www.soest.hawaii.edu).

      On the commercial side, you can try Surface III+, by the Kansas Geological
      Survey (can't remember the e-mail or URL directions, sorry, you may try
      with http://www.kansas.edu...), for Macs and PC's (Unix as well?).
      Otherwise, I have direvt experience with Fortner (formerly Spyglass)
      Transform which I believe to be a superb package. Both softwares have edu
      discounts.
      On Transform, I displayed displacement data collected from faults (i.e. I
      had the relative grid wihin which I had my value points).. using the 3D
      surfave contouring. It works very well, you cvan manipulate colors
      on-the-fly, change perspective... and all of thius on a relatively normal
      Mac (Quadra 800, 24 megs of Ram). You may try with http://www.fortner.com.

      Good luck,

      Umberto Fracassi

      Fault Dynamics Research Group Tel: 44 (0)1784-443862 (office)
      Department of Geology 44 (0)1784-436103 (home)
      Royal Holloway 44 (0)958-357661 (mobile)
      University of London Fax: 44 (0)1784-471780
      Egham, Surrey TW20 OEX e-mail: umberto@...
      U.K. WWW: http://glsun2/gl.rhbnc.ac.uk/FDP/fdp.html