GEOSTATS: Distance Education

  • Costello, Oliver
    Message 1 of 2 , May 13, 1998
      Ditto Michael Noah's note about distance education. I think a lot of people
      get into geostatistics without formal training by reading and practicing
      (butchering up) data sets with different geostats software without really
      understanding what they are doing. I put myself squarely in this category.
      It is after all an intrinsically interesting subject. We get into it because
      we like it not because we have to. This is a good thing not a bad thing. The
      downside is that there are a lot of hacks out there, that's good for the
      geostats consultants though, plenty of shoddy work to redo when we get into
      serious trouble!

      I would be very interested in some sort of correspondence or internet
      offering in Geostats to smooth out low data areas in my background. I love
      this list, most times I have no idea what is being discussed but it always
      sounds so interesting!

    • Costello, Oliver