GEOSTATS: SUMMARY: point pattern analysis with odd-shaped boundary

  • Sarah R. Jacobs
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 1998
      ORIGINAL QUESTION:
      I'm trying to find out if it's possible to perform a Ripley's K(t)
      analysis to determine spatial point pattern using a non-rectangular
      boundary. I can't seem to find a way to do this in S-PLUS (rectangular
      boundary required). Is there another software with which it is possible?

      RESPONSE:
      Norm Finkelstein pointed me in the direction of Peter Diggle and Barry
      Rowlingson of Lancaster University in the UK. They wrote an add-on module
      for S-PLUS called SPLANCS that can perform the Ripley's K-function on
      odd-shaped boundaries. I've downloaded the program from
      http://www.maths.lancs.ac.uk/~rowlings/Splancs/
      but have not been able to get it to run on our system.

      This was the only response I received. I am assuming this type of point
      pattern analysis just isn't done (or rarely done) on non-rectangular
      boundaries. I've taken a subset of my data defined by a rectangular region
      to perform the analysis correctly.

      Sarah R. Jacobs
      http://www.usgs.nau.edu/~srj/
      Graduate Student | Gap Analysis Program Assistant
      Department of Geography | Colorado Plateau Field Station
      and Public Planning | USGS - Biological Resources Division
      Northern Arizona University | (520) 556-7466 ext. 225
      srj@... | srj@...