Re: GEOSTATS:spatial autocorrelation calculation with landuse data

  • Yoshiro Nagao
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 28, 1998
      Annyon

      "KyuWon Park" <wallone@...> sama said:
      >Hello, GeoStatistians!
      >My last question: in case of spatial correlation computation, is there any
      >specific method to measure it, otherwise, can I use conventional statistics,
      >e.g., pearson's correlation coefficient?

      Most of the geostatistical articles seem to
      be concerned with spatial correlation, at any rate.

      A 'conventional' way would be the regression analysis
      between the two variables mesh by mesh, lattice by lattice,
      polygon by polygon...

      There seems to be 'semi-variogram', 'kriging'...but I have no
      sufficient knowledge to talk about it.

      (I would appreciate comment from geostatisticians on
      this matter.)

      In this case, you have to bear in your mind that
      'the degree of correlation between the variables
      is a function of the size of area considered'.
      or
      'Any talk of single correlation coefficient between variables
      measured on modifiable units is erronious'
      (Spatial Processes models & applications by A.D Cliff & J K Ord)

      In a short word,
      you have to try different scales when you investigate
      spatial correlation.

      Tomannapshida

      Nagao Yoshiro
      International Centre for Medical Research
      Kobe University School of Medicine