Re: GEOSTATS: Contouring program needed

  • Carl Brenner
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 1997
      On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Philip Keating wrote:

      > There exists a program called Surfer which is commonly used to make contours.
      > However, I forget which company sells it. At least this is a start.

      Golden Software - www.golden.com/golden
      Carl Brenner http://www.uidaho.edu/~carlb

    • Umberto Fracassi
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 10, 1997
        >Friends,
        > I have 10,000 valued 2-D points and want to draw contours through the
        >data. Does anyone know of a contouring program existing outside a GIS?
        >

        > Charlie Hendricksen veritas@...
        >
        >--
        >*As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
        >of any useful responses to your questions.

        Charles,

        on the freeware side, you can try GMT (Generic Mapping Tools, by Pal
        Wassel, now at U of Hawaii). It runs on most unix platforms as far as I
        know and seems to be quite an impressive package, although I have no direct
        experience on it. You can download it from ftp://kiawe.soest.hawaii.edu (if
        I ain't wrong!) or else you can consult the UoH webpage (tryu
        http://www.soest.hawaii.edu).

        On the commercial side, you can try Surface III+, by the Kansas Geological
        Survey (can't remember the e-mail or URL directions, sorry, you may try
        with http://www.kansas.edu...), for Macs and PC's (Unix as well?).
        Otherwise, I have direvt experience with Fortner (formerly Spyglass)
        Transform which I believe to be a superb package. Both softwares have edu
        discounts.
        On Transform, I displayed displacement data collected from faults (i.e. I
        had the relative grid wihin which I had my value points).. using the 3D
        surfave contouring. It works very well, you cvan manipulate colors
        on-the-fly, change perspective... and all of thius on a relatively normal
        Mac (Quadra 800, 24 megs of Ram). You may try with http://www.fortner.com.

        Good luck,

        Umberto Fracassi

        Fault Dynamics Research Group Tel: 44 (0)1784-443862 (office)
        Department of Geology 44 (0)1784-436103 (home)
        Royal Holloway 44 (0)958-357661 (mobile)
        University of London Fax: 44 (0)1784-471780
        Egham, Surrey TW20 OEX e-mail: umberto@...
        U.K. WWW: http://glsun2/gl.rhbnc.ac.uk/FDP/fdp.html