GEOSTATS: variogram modelling

  • Wiktoria Daniels
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 21, 1998
      I am interested in obtaining programs that may be used to
      automatically fit a model variogram. My application requires
      large numbers of variograms to be fitted to small datasets therefore
      speed and consistency are important. However, the code need not
      attempt to resolve any complex structure as it is likely that
      there will be insufficient information available for this to be
      practical.
      Does anyone know of any software suitable for the above application ?
      Any method is fine e.g. fitting by least squares but I would prefer,
      although any language is probably ok, source code in FORTRAN so that
      I can easily fit it together with other tools.
      I will post a summary of any responses sent directly.
      Many thanks,
      Wiktoria Daniels
      email wiktoria.daniels@...
    • Wiktoria Daniels
      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 1998
        My original request for help;

        >I am interested in obtaining programs that may be used to
        >automatically fit a model variogram. My application requires
        >large numbers of variograms to be fitted to small datasets therefore
        >speed and consistency are important. However, the code need not
        >attempt to resolve any complex structure as it is likely that
        >there will be insufficient information available for this to be
        >practical.
        >Does anyone know of any software suitable for the above application ?
        >Any method is fine e.g. fitting by least squares but I would prefer,
        >although any language is probably ok, source code in FORTRAN so that
        >I can easily fit it together with other tools.
        >I will post a summary of any responses sent directly.

        Summary of responses

        Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my request.
        Programs which were suggested to be of use were;

        1) SAGE95; a powerful software package that calculates and
        automatically models sample variograms (2 or 3D) (1 or 2
        nested structures). You can download the program at the web site
        www.isaaks.com
        Edward Isaaks
        Keith Blair

        2) A least-squares method that works using the GSLIB package. The code c=
        an
        be downloaded from the ftp site (ftp.iamg.org). The paper describing
        the method can be found in Computers and Geoscience (Vol
        22.no4,pp387-397).
        Keith Blair

        3) The unix version of Geoeas (see the softfaq of AI-GEOSTATS).
        (uncertain whether the dos version has an automatic fitting).
        Gr=E9goire Dubois

        4) The S+ spatial module, bearing in mind the need to learn the
        programming. There is a good book to lead you though, "Statistical models
        in S+" Chambers and Hastie 1993. See Isaaks and Srivastava 1989 to avoid
        violating any assumptions.
        Cathy Schloeder
        Michael Jacobs

        5) 250 variograms have been computed semi-automatically for the Kola
        Ecochemistry Project, from which an Atlas has just been released:
        Environmental Geochemical Atlas of the Central Barents Region (1998):
        NGU, Trondheim, Norway. (See also
        http://www.statistik.tuwien.ac.at/public/dutt/das/Kola/
        -- and their the report --or http://www.ngu.no .)
        All the geostatistical computations (e.g. variograms) were made
        using the program GEOSAN, which was developed at the department and
        is also commercially available from it.
        Rudolph Dutter

        6) VARIOWIN and GSLIB were also suggested, although these require user
        interaction.
        Carme Hervada-Sala
        Burak Yeten

        7) GSTAT http://www.frw.ruu.nl/gstat/