GEOSTATS: Data Transformations

  • William C. Thayer
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 16, 1998
      Hello. I have data on lead contaminated sites that appears to be
      log-normally distributed. My question is: what factors should I
      consider prior to (and during and after!) transforming the data to "log
      space" for the purposes of variogram modeling. My primary objectives
      are to calculate a global mean and estimation error for each site
      although I will also attempt to calculate block means and estimation
      errors.
      Feel free to suggest references.
      I will summarize replies.

      Thank you,
      Bill Thayer
      SUNY College of Environmental Science and Forestry

    • keith r. blair
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 17, 1998
        William:

        What do the variograms look like for the untransformed data? Try some
        relative-pair variograms or correlograms on the raw data... perhaps a log
        transform is not required.

        keith