Re: GEOSTATS: Contouring program needed

  • Greg Pohll
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 1997
      Try "surfer" ($500) from golden software. 303 279-1021

      --
      Greg Pohll
      Post Doc

      Desert Research Institute
      Water Resources Center
      P.O. Box 60220
      Reno, NV 89506
      Voice: (702) 674-7523
      FAX: (702) 673-7397
      Email: pohll@...

      > Friends,
      > I have 10,000 valued 2-D points and want to draw contours through the
      > data. Does anyone know of a contouring program existing outside a GIS?

      > Charlie Hendricksen veritas@...

    • Carl Brenner
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 1997
        On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Philip Keating wrote:

        > There exists a program called Surfer which is commonly used to make contours.
        > However, I forget which company sells it. At least this is a start.

        Golden Software - www.golden.com/golden
        Carl Brenner http://www.uidaho.edu/~carlb

      • Umberto Fracassi
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 10, 1997
          >Friends,
          > I have 10,000 valued 2-D points and want to draw contours through the
          >data. Does anyone know of a contouring program existing outside a GIS?
          >

          > Charlie Hendricksen veritas@...
          >
          >--
          >*As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
          >of any useful responses to your questions.

          Charles,

          on the freeware side, you can try GMT (Generic Mapping Tools, by Pal
          Wassel, now at U of Hawaii). It runs on most unix platforms as far as I
          know and seems to be quite an impressive package, although I have no direct
          experience on it. You can download it from ftp://kiawe.soest.hawaii.edu (if
          I ain't wrong!) or else you can consult the UoH webpage (tryu
          http://www.soest.hawaii.edu).

          On the commercial side, you can try Surface III+, by the Kansas Geological
          Survey (can't remember the e-mail or URL directions, sorry, you may try
          with http://www.kansas.edu...), for Macs and PC's (Unix as well?).
          Otherwise, I have direvt experience with Fortner (formerly Spyglass)
          Transform which I believe to be a superb package. Both softwares have edu
          discounts.
          On Transform, I displayed displacement data collected from faults (i.e. I
          had the relative grid wihin which I had my value points).. using the 3D
          surfave contouring. It works very well, you cvan manipulate colors
          on-the-fly, change perspective... and all of thius on a relatively normal
          Mac (Quadra 800, 24 megs of Ram). You may try with http://www.fortner.com.

          Good luck,

          Umberto Fracassi

          Fault Dynamics Research Group Tel: 44 (0)1784-443862 (office)
          Department of Geology 44 (0)1784-436103 (home)
          Royal Holloway 44 (0)958-357661 (mobile)
          University of London Fax: 44 (0)1784-471780
          Egham, Surrey TW20 OEX e-mail: umberto@...
          U.K. WWW: http://glsun2/gl.rhbnc.ac.uk/FDP/fdp.html