GEOSTATS: Contouring program needed

  • Charles Hendricksen
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 7, 1997
      Friends,
      I have 10,000 valued 2-D points and want to draw contours through the
      data. Does anyone know of a contouring program existing outside a GIS?

      Charlie Hendricksen veritas@...

    • Philip Keating
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 7, 1997
        There exists a program called Surfer which is commonly used to make contours.
        However, I forget which company sells it. At least this is a start.
        Best regards, Phil Keating
        Dept. of Geography, University of Miami

        On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Charles Hendricksen wrote:

        > Friends,
        > I have 10,000 valued 2-D points and want to draw contours through the
        > data. Does anyone know of a contouring program existing outside a GIS?
        >

        > Charlie Hendricksen veritas@...

      • Roberto Avila
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 7, 1997
          At 10:28 AM 2/7/97 -0800, you wrote:
          >Friends,
          > I have 10,000 valued 2-D points and want to draw contours through the
          >data. Does anyone know of a contouring program existing outside a GIS?
          >

          > Charlie Hendricksen veritas@...
          >
          >--
          >*As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
          >of any useful responses to your questions.

          You can look at Surfer (e-mail: info@...) or another software is
          vertical maper. I don't have any e-mail of this one.

          Good luck

          RA

          Roberto Avila Research projects:
          Ph.D. Graduate Research Assistant Artificial intelligence
          University of Idaho Geostatistics
          Forest Resources Department GIS/RS
          Moscow, ID 83844-1133
          Tel: (208) 885-6242
          Fax: (208) 885-6226
          E-mail: avil8741@...

        • Greg Pohll
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 7, 1997
            Try "surfer" ($500) from golden software. 303 279-1021

            --
            Greg Pohll
            Post Doc

            Desert Research Institute
            Water Resources Center
            P.O. Box 60220
            Reno, NV 89506
            Voice: (702) 674-7523
            FAX: (702) 673-7397
            Email: pohll@...

            > Friends,
            > I have 10,000 valued 2-D points and want to draw contours through the
            > data. Does anyone know of a contouring program existing outside a GIS?

            > Charlie Hendricksen veritas@...

          • Carl Brenner
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 7, 1997
              On Fri, 7 Feb 1997, Philip Keating wrote:

              > There exists a program called Surfer which is commonly used to make contours.
              > However, I forget which company sells it. At least this is a start.

              Golden Software - www.golden.com/golden
              Carl Brenner http://www.uidaho.edu/~carlb

            • Umberto Fracassi
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 10, 1997
                >Friends,
                > I have 10,000 valued 2-D points and want to draw contours through the
                >data. Does anyone know of a contouring program existing outside a GIS?
                >

                > Charlie Hendricksen veritas@...
                >
                >--
                >*As a general service to list users, please remember to post a summary
                >of any useful responses to your questions.

                Charles,

                on the freeware side, you can try GMT (Generic Mapping Tools, by Pal
                Wassel, now at U of Hawaii). It runs on most unix platforms as far as I
                know and seems to be quite an impressive package, although I have no direct
                experience on it. You can download it from ftp://kiawe.soest.hawaii.edu (if
                I ain't wrong!) or else you can consult the UoH webpage (tryu
                http://www.soest.hawaii.edu).

                On the commercial side, you can try Surface III+, by the Kansas Geological
                Survey (can't remember the e-mail or URL directions, sorry, you may try
                with http://www.kansas.edu...), for Macs and PC's (Unix as well?).
                Otherwise, I have direvt experience with Fortner (formerly Spyglass)
                Transform which I believe to be a superb package. Both softwares have edu
                discounts.
                On Transform, I displayed displacement data collected from faults (i.e. I
                had the relative grid wihin which I had my value points).. using the 3D
                surfave contouring. It works very well, you cvan manipulate colors
                on-the-fly, change perspective... and all of thius on a relatively normal
                Mac (Quadra 800, 24 megs of Ram). You may try with http://www.fortner.com.

                Good luck,

                Umberto Fracassi

                Fault Dynamics Research Group Tel: 44 (0)1784-443862 (office)
                Department of Geology 44 (0)1784-436103 (home)
                Royal Holloway 44 (0)958-357661 (mobile)
                University of London Fax: 44 (0)1784-471780
                Egham, Surrey TW20 OEX e-mail: umberto@...
                U.K. WWW: http://glsun2/gl.rhbnc.ac.uk/FDP/fdp.html