GEOSTATS: DEM Interpolation and Uncertainty

  • Swech
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 2, 1998
      I am currently in the process of the literature review for my dissertation
      proposal. I am interested in investigating the stochastic evaluation of
      uncertainty in digital elevation models (DEMs) and its specific impact on
      hydrologic model predictions.

      At this point I am looking for literature regarding the effect of (a) the DEM
      interpolation method used to interpolate a DEM from a point surface, and (b)
      the resolution of the interpolated surface, on uncertainty.

      I was hoping someone could refer me to any studies regarding specific
      interpolation algorithms [i.e. Surfer algorithms such as krigging, minimum
      curvature, nearest neighbor, inverse distance] and their "impact" on the
      resulting DEM.

      Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time!

      Sincerely,

      Suzanne Wechsler
      SUNY Environmental Science & Forestry

      PS - I apologize if this is a duplicate post, the first one didn't seem to
      work.