GEOSTATS: GI/GIS discussion forum at DG XIII/E

  • R A Longhorn
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 5, 1998
      5.2.1998

      As a some-time member of the AI-GEOSTATS list, from messages that I have seen posted
      to the list, I feel that the following announcement may be of interest to some of you.
      The list mentioned - GI2000@... - has been in operation since mid-November 1997 and
      is now reaching a critical phase, as the final text for a draft Communication to the European
      Parliament and Council of Ministers will be fixed in the next few weeks as will the draft
      content of the EU's Fifth RTD Framework Programme. Both of these topics are under
      discussion on the list and anyone from the GI/GIS community wishing to contribute to that
      debate, here is you opportunity!

      Dear potential GI2000 List members,

      Announcing!
      =========

      ... the GI2000 discussion list on the I*M Europe server of the European Commission's Directorate General XIII/E (information market). This list focuses on Geographic Information
      (GI) and Geographic Information Systems (GIS) in Europe and globally. Please feel free to
      join in on the discussions, providing your observations, comments or concerns about any
      issue falling into the categories listed below. You send messages by simple e-mail (not via
      the Web) to our Majordomo list server as indicated below. On receipt of your initial request to
      join this list, you will be automatically sent an authorization/authentication code which must
      be sent back to the server. (This can be done using simple "cut and paste" from the
      authorization message and the built-in automatic "reply" function of most e-mail packages.)
      The whole process is easy, quick and painless!

      THE MAIN TOPICS UNDER DISCUSSION.
      ===============================

      This list covers issues relating to the following topics:

      * GI2000 - the proposed "European Policy Framework for Geographic Information" EC
      draft Communication to European Parliament and Council of Research Ministers

      * GI/GIS in the EC's Fifth Framework Programme

      * GI/GIS in the INFO2000 Programme of DG XIII/E

      * Global GI/GIS Issues

      SUBSCRIPTION INSTRUCTIONS.

      subscribe gi2000

      Put nothing in the "Subject" field of the e-mail message. You do not need to add you e-mail
      address, name or any other information.

      TO LEAVE THE LIST.

      No further action is required. You will be automatically removed from the list.

      SENDING MESSAGES.
      ==================

      To send a message to the list, simply prepare your e-mail message and send it to the
      address below:

      gi2000@...

      That is all there is to it! Please try to put a meaningful title in the "Subject" field of your e-mail,
      so that others can see the topic to which you are referring, and also so that we can better
      build "threads" of messages focusing on the same or similar topics. When replying to a

      HELP WITH MAJORDOMO.
      =====================
      More complete instructions on how to use the Majordomo commands can be obtained by
      sending the single word "help" (as text of a message, not in the "Subject" line!) to
      Majordomo@.... Note that we have disabled the Majordomo "who" command, by
      which you could normally find out who are all other members of the list. This is done to
      prevent unauthorized use of the list membership details (your private e-mail contact
      addresses!) by on-line marketing firms - no one wants or needs yet more junk mail - even if it
      is delivered electronically!

      RULES / LIST PROTOCOL.
      =====================

      The list is moderated by Roger Longhorn and/or Vincent Felten, both experts in GI/GIS
      working in support of DG XIII/E.3. All comments made will be summarized periodically and
      will appear in the GI Forum section of the DG XIII/E I*M Europe Web server

      (http://www2.echo.lu/gi/en/giforums.html)

      Although the list is moderated, messages are NOT intercepted prior to appearing on the lists.
      The message archive is not automatically accessible from the Web site, although a
      comprehensive digest with commentary is provided periodically. We have adopted this e-
      mail based approach to operate this forum as there has been some serious objection to
      operating a discussion forum via a Web site, due to certain people lacking the time (and
      patience!) and/or software to use the Web regularly, whereas nearly everyone has access to
      e-mail. Messages sent to the list automatically reach every other subscriber, with no
      interference from the moderators. If this very democratic facility is abused, then we may be
      forced to adopt a more interventionist attitude - so please be aware of your "Netiquette"

      TOPICS TO BE DISCUSSED.
      ======================

      The main themes shown below are open for discussion via the forum. Note that these
      themes also have Web pages allocated to them on the GI section of the I*M Europe server,
      located at:

      URL http://www2.echo.lu/gi/en/intro/gihome.html

      * GI2000 - This draft Communication lacks support and is thus not progressing as quickly as
      desired. Why? Who should be responsible? What can members of the European GI/GIS
      community do now to help advance this DG XIII/E initiative? (Get latest news on GI2000 from
      the Web site at http://www2.echo.lu/gi/gi2000/en/gi2000.html).

      * GI in the Fifth Framework Programme - A primary focus for "GI" in the 5FWP is now
      embedded in the "Electronic Publishing" section of a Multimedia Content key action. GI and
      GIS also appear in other areas of the programme, especially in regard to environmental
      themes and action lines, although they are often not specifically highlighted as "GI/GIS". How
      will this affect the wider GI/GIS community - vendors, users, collectors, rights holders. Do
      you fully understand how the 5FWP is developed, i.e. the procedures, actors (EC,
      Parliament, Council, others)? Does it matter? (See also the "GI in 5FP" pages on the Web
      server, at http://www2.echo.lu/gi/fp5/gi5fp.html)

      * GI in INFO2000 Programme - The second (and final) Calls for Proposals under INFO2000
      were launched on 15 December 1997, relating to Multimedia Rights Clearance Systems and
      exploiting public sector data. Both Calls are relevant to the GI industry, for GI creators, rights
      owners, users and intermediaries. Since a majority of European GI is held by public bodies
      (according to popular belief), how can the GI/GIS community best take part in this
      forthcoming Call? What topics will be of most relevance? Who might make good partners?
      Where do you get more advice on participating? (See the Web pages at

      http://www2.echo.lu/gi/projects/en/info2cfp/calltext.html for more information)

      * GI/GIS at Global Level - Two main themes are targeted for discussion. These are the GSDI - Global Spatial Data Infrastructure debate / initiative, following on from the two international
      conferences on this topic held under the patronage of European Commissioner Dr. Martin
      Bangemann, in Bonn, Germany, Sept. 1996 and North Carolina, Oct. 1997. The second
      theme is "international standards and interoperability". Here is your chance to comment on
      where GI/GIS related standards have come from, current state of play, where they are going.
      Are the current standards being used - if not, why not? Will the work of ISO TC211 and its
      working relationship with OGC take European needs fully into account? Your chance to
      openly express your views and enter into an electronic discussion with your colleagues. (I*M
      Europe's GI Web site also has a new section devoted specifically to these issues at

      http://www2.echo.lu/gi/en/intro/giglobal.html).

      NOW IT IS UP TO YOU !!
      ==================

      Lists and forums do not work unless PEOPLE PARTICIPATE. We are offering you the
      opportunity to air your views, make contributions to significant discussions taking place in the
      EU Institutions (under the GI2000 initiative and the 5th Framework Programme), to new
      programme development(s) and ways to more effective participation in on-going
      programmes (via the recent Calls for Proposals in INFO2000). Please subscribe. Then
      contribute!

      Please excuse this very long introduction and I hope to receive your "subscribe" message
      very soon!

      For those who have already subscribed, remember that to send messages to the list, simply
      send your e-mail messages to the address:

      gi2000@...

      That is all it takes to get your views on record! You will automatically receive any messages
      sent by any other GI2000 list members.

      Kind regards to all.

      Roger Longhorn, Principal Consultant, GI/GIS
      Expert in GI to EC DG XIII/E.3 (INFO2000 and GI2000)
      TechServe Support Team, Luxembourg
      Tel & Fax +352 818610
      e-mail: ral@...
    • D.Hartkamp (Natural Resources
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 5, 1998
        I am forwarding the information without the attachment to the listserver in case others are interested.

        ----------
        Message 3 of 3 , Feb 5, 1998
          Hello,

          i am sorry to bother you, but I was hoping you could help me.

          i am trying to contact Dr Bruce James. He completed his PhD in
          hydrogeology/geostatistics at the University of British Columbia in 1992.

          many thanks

          matthew kay

          | Matthew Kay | Uni: (617) 3365-3473 |
          | Postgraduate Student | Fax (617) 3365-7028 |
          | WH Bryan Mining Research Centre | |
          | The University of Queensland | Home: (617) 3870-3613 |
          | Qld, 4072, Australia | Email: mkay@... |
          | Home Page: http://www.earthsciences.uq.edu.au/~mkay |