GEOSTATS: Re: Multifractals

  • Bill Belfield
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 5, 1997
      Ben Warr wrote:

      >Does anyone have any experience of characterising transect data in terms
      >of multifracticality.

      I've worked some with multifractal characterization of subsurface fracture
      apertures from horizontal oil wells. This data represents a scan-line or
      linear traverse of the reservoir. The citation is
      Belfield, W. (1994) Multifractal characteristics of natural fracture
      apertures, Geophy. Research Letters, v.21, No. 24, p.2641-2644

      >I am working on some soil penetrometer and surface
      >topography transects, triggered by work done by Folurunso and earlier by
      >Armstrong, (references available if required) The paper by Foluronso has
      >used measures describing multifracticality, in order to cope with the
      >seeimng situation of large scale modulations in strength being modified by
      >small scale peturbations as the spatial resolution increases. Indeed my
      >log-log plots of the variogram reveal distinct, separate linear regions.
      >I understand that any suggestion of fractal, fractal-like or multifractal
      >behaviour must be rigourously defined, is the suggestion of
      >multifracticality simply a cop out for not being able to explain the
      >breaks of slope in the log-log plot.

      Actually, I'd say it's the other way around. The cop out is people
      attempting to maintain a (mono)fractal relationship to data that deviates
      from this.

      >I am also aware that =the maths behind mul;tifractals is daunting.
      >Are there any packages, algorithms lying around that can compute the
      >necessary measures and legendre transformations that are required ?

      It's relatively easy to program for yourself, but check the FAQ in the
      SCI.NONLINEAR newsgroup. I believe that Tony Roberts at (I think) ANU has
      some software at his web site. If you pose the question in the newsgroup
      I'm sure he'll respond. Hope this helps.

      Bill Belfield

      Bill Belfield
      ARCO Exploration & Production Technology
      2300 West Plano Parkway
      Plano, TX. 75075

      e-mail:
      Work: belfield@...