Re: GEOSTATS: mantel test

  • Michele Scardi
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 7, 1998
      Cathy Schloeder & Mike Jacobs wrote:

      > Here is my question: I am attempting to test a theory about species
      > distributions. I am planning on using the Mantel test for my analyses and
      > am wondering if (1) anyone has written a program out there (or knows of one)
      > that can handle a data set that has >800 records and up to 30 variables per
      > record; or (2) has used S+ (or some-such-program) to write a program that
      > can handle this volume of data?

      Cathy & Mike,

      a few years ago I wrote both a QuickBasic and a Fortran 90 version of
      the Mantel test. These programs are very simple (as the test is), but
      were intended for personal use, so they are not very user friendly.
      The QuickBasic version is limited by the MS-DOS memory management and
      cannot handle large matrices, whereas the Fortran 90 version works
      with (almost) any size matrices. If you (or other ai-geostat people)
      are interested, drop me an email and I'll send you the source and/or
      the MS-DOS executable files.
      In order to use the Mantel test program, you have to compute the
      distance (or similarity) matrices with another program (the one you
      prefer) and to convert these matrices into ASCII files.
      I also have a program that performs this task, but it only supports
      the coefficients I use more frequently, i.e. 4 dissimilarity
      coefficients (Jaccard, Soerensen, Rogers & Tanimoto and Ochiai), 3
      distances (euclidean, Manhattan and Canberra) and a species
      association index (Fager & McGowan). Also this program has a "stone
      age" user interface. It is available in Quickbasic and Fortran 90
      versions (source and/or MS-DOS executable) and needs ASCII input files
      (raw data).

      Cheers,

      Michele

      Michele Scardi