GEOSTATS: Lat long to Rectangular

  • Mike Sawada
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 6, 1998
      There is a quick and dirty method for converting the lat long values into
      a metric rectangular coordinate system. This should be allright for a
      small area but you might want to check the resutls carefully. I've only
      used this for quick exploratory means:

      For
      latitude (a) [in degress]
      longitude (b) [in degrees]

      r is the radius of the earth which in KM is appx.6375 km

      x = r cos(a) cos (b)
      y = r cos(a) sin (b)
      z = r sin(a)

      x,y,z will be in the units of r.

      As I said this is a fast way to get to a rectangular system but probably
      is not the best.

      If you find a better way please let me know as I have been looking for a
      proper way to project my own data without resorting to the above, which
      works well for exploratory analysis but is not proper (doesn't take
      into account the fact that the earth is not a perfect sphere)

      Thanks
      Mike
      sawada@...