Re: GEOSTATS:latitude transformation

  • Edward Hands
    Message 1 of 4 , Jan 6, 1998
      > I have some data collected at different latitudes (relatively small range)
      > which I would like to transform into km so I can carry out some
      > geostatistical analysis.
      > Can anyone tell me what would be the easiest way to go about this ?
      > Many thanks
      > Alison
      > ________________________________
      > Dr Alison Riding
      > ADAS Consulting Ltd.
      > Woodthorne
      > Wolverhampton
      > WV6 8TQ
      > U.K.
      >
      > Tel: +44 (0) 1902 693129
      > Fax: +44 (0) 1902 693166
      > E-Mail: Alison_Riding@...

      Dr. Riding,
      I have converted back and forth between various geodetic datums and state
      plane coord systems using the freeware CORPSCON. It was developed and is
      maintained by the US Army Topographic Engineering Center, Ft Belvoir, VA. It is a
      terrrific and free package, but I am unsure how well it works for areas outside the US
      or where your area of interest is. I suspect it may do well worldwide at least for
      conversion to Universal Transverse Mercator. You should easily find it by brousing
      the web. -Ed

      Message 2 of 4 , Jan 6, 1998
        This mail message, and any attachments, has been checked for Viruses
        by ADAS before dispatch to the Internet.

        Form: Memo
        Text: (27 lines follow)

        Happy New Year all Geostatsers!

        I have some data collected at different latitudes (relatively small range)

        which I would like to transform into km so I can carry out some

        geostatistical analysis.

        Can anyone tell me what would be the easiest way to go about this ?

        Many thanks

        Alison

        ________________________________
        Dr Alison Riding
        ADAS Consulting Ltd.
        Woodthorne
        Wolverhampton
        WV6 8TQ
        U.K.

        Tel: +44 (0) 1902 693129
        Fax: +44 (0) 1902 693166
        E-Mail: Alison_Riding@...
      • Med Bennett
        Message 3 of 4 , Jan 6, 1998
          Hello Alison -

          There is a free program called Corpscon put out by the US Coast and
          Geodetic Survey which will convert from lat/long to UTM etc. It is
          available at http://www.tec.army.mil/TD/corpscon.html or other places I'm
          sure. Let me know if you want me to try to send it to you.

          Cheers,
          Med Bennett

          At 11:53 AM 1/6/98 GMT, you wrote:
          >This mail message, and any attachments, has been checked for Viruses
          >by ADAS before dispatch to the Internet.
          >

          >Form: Memo
          >Text: (27 lines follow)
          >
          >Happy New Year all Geostatsers!
          >
          >I have some data collected at different latitudes (relatively small range)
          >
          >which I would like to transform into km so I can carry out some
          >
          >geostatistical analysis.
          >
          >Can anyone tell me what would be the easiest way to go about this ?
          >
          >Many thanks
          >
          >Alison
          >

          >________________________________
          >Dr Alison Riding
          >ADAS Consulting Ltd.
          >Woodthorne
          >Wolverhampton
          >WV6 8TQ
          >U.K.
          >
          >Tel: +44 (0) 1902 693129
          >Fax: +44 (0) 1902 693166
          >E-Mail: Alison_Riding@...

          *********************************
          Med Bennett
          http://www.indra.com/~mbennett
          mbennett@... (home)
          bennettm@... (work)
          303-449-0648 x128 (work)
          Boulder, Colorado USA
          40d 1.635' N, 105d 17.320' W
        • Peter von Bertoldi
          Message 4 of 4 , Jan 6, 1998
            Hi, I used a couple of utilities, but the more versatile is proj.4 from
            USGS, you can get it at
            http://kai.er.usgs.gov/ftp/PROJ.4/proj.html
            they have DOS and UNIX versions

            --------
            Peter von Bertoldi Phone: (519) 824-4120 x 4264/2904
            131 Richards Building Fax: (519) 824-5730
            University of Guelph pvonbert@...
            GUELPH, Ontario Dept home page is working now ;-{)}
            Canada, N1G 2W1 http://www..uoguelph.ca/lrs/