GEOSTATS: mantel test

  • Cathy Schloeder & Mike Jacobs
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 5, 1998
      Here is my question: I am attempting to test a theory about species
      distributions. I am planning on using the Mantel test for my analyses and
      am wondering if (1) anyone has written a program out there (or knows of one)
      that can handle a data set that has >800 records and up to 30 variables per
      record; or (2) has used S+ (or some-such-program) to write a program that
      can handle this volume of data? Cathy
      Cathy Schloeder
      Utah State University
      Dept. Fisheries and Wildlife
      UMC 5210
      Logan, UT 84322-5210
      Telephone: 801-797-1346
      Fax: 801-797-1871

    • Michele Scardi
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 7, 1998
        Cathy Schloeder & Mike Jacobs wrote:

        > Here is my question: I am attempting to test a theory about species
        > distributions. I am planning on using the Mantel test for my analyses and
        > am wondering if (1) anyone has written a program out there (or knows of one)
        > that can handle a data set that has >800 records and up to 30 variables per
        > record; or (2) has used S+ (or some-such-program) to write a program that
        > can handle this volume of data?

        Cathy & Mike,

        a few years ago I wrote both a QuickBasic and a Fortran 90 version of
        the Mantel test. These programs are very simple (as the test is), but
        were intended for personal use, so they are not very user friendly.
        The QuickBasic version is limited by the MS-DOS memory management and
        cannot handle large matrices, whereas the Fortran 90 version works
        with (almost) any size matrices. If you (or other ai-geostat people)
        are interested, drop me an email and I'll send you the source and/or
        the MS-DOS executable files.
        In order to use the Mantel test program, you have to compute the
        distance (or similarity) matrices with another program (the one you
        prefer) and to convert these matrices into ASCII files.
        I also have a program that performs this task, but it only supports
        the coefficients I use more frequently, i.e. 4 dissimilarity
        coefficients (Jaccard, Soerensen, Rogers & Tanimoto and Ochiai), 3
        distances (euclidean, Manhattan and Canberra) and a species
        association index (Fager & McGowan). Also this program has a "stone
        age" user interface. It is available in Quickbasic and Fortran 90
        versions (source and/or MS-DOS executable) and needs ASCII input files
        (raw data).

        Cheers,

        Michele

        Michele Scardi