GEOSTATS: Multifracticality

  • Benjamin S. Warr
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 4, 1997
      A question aimed at the wide blue yonder.

      Does anyone have any experience of characterising transect data in terms
      of multifracticality. I am working on some soil penetrometer and surface
      topography transects, triggered by work done by Folurunso and earlier by
      Armstrong, (references available if required) The paper by Foluronso has
      used measures describing multifracticality, in order to cope with the
      seeimng situation of large scale modulations in strength being modified by
      small scale peturbations as the spatial resolution increases. Indeed my
      log-log plots of the variogram reveal distinct, separate linear regions.
      I understand that any suggestion of fractal, fractal-like or multifractal
      behaviour must be rigourously defined, is the suggestion of
      multifracticality simply a cop out for not being able to explain the
      breaks of slope in the log-log plot.
      I am also aware that =the maths behind mul;tifractals is daunting.

      Are there any packages, algorithms lying around that can compute the
      necessary measures and legendre transformations that are required ?

      Yours sincerely Ben Warr