GEOSTATS: rradial basis functions

  • Donald Myers
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 8, 1997
      Note that interpolation with Radial basis functions is essentially
      the same as kriging, the "basis" function must satisfy
      certain conditions, i.e., it must be a variogram or at
      least a generalized covariance. Some examples don't look like
      it because they are not zero at lag zero but for varigrams
      that doesn't matter. See my paper in Sciences de La Terre
      (1988), Interpolation with Postive Definite Functions and
      a paper in Computers and Math. Applications on Cokriging
      and Radial Basis Functions. For full citations see my website

      http://www.u.arizona.edu/~donaldm

      The bottom line is that you must choose the radial basis
      function, i.e., you must choose/model the variogram. For
      small data sets this is a problem, otherwise you have to use
      non-data information to make the selection. See one of my
      papers on the use of cross-validation for the selection.

      Donald E. Myers