GEOSTATS: interpolation

  • Cathy Schloeder & Mike Jacobs
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 2, 1997
      My latest question:

      If you did not have spatially autocorrelated data, and wanted to interpolate
      soil property data over a large landscape, using 46 sites to interpolate to
      176 sites, what method would you use, why, and what are possible bio-geo
      factors to consider in making the selection. The grid is oriented ne-sw, on
      a relatively level plain, with a mountain range run its length on the west,
      presumably contributing something colluvially. Thanks for feedback!

      Cathy
      Cathy Schloeder
      Utah State University
      Dept. Fisheries and Wildlife
      UMC 5210
      Logan, UT 84322-5210
      Telephone: 801-797-1346
      Fax: 801-797-1871

    • Donald Myers
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 1, 1998
        Tha is a non-sequitur, given only a finite amount of data and no state
        equations you have a non-unique problem. First of all one has to ask what
        does "best" mean? Again this is non-unique.

        There are quite a number of papers that have compared different
        methods/algorithms/implementations of algorithms/applications of algorithms
        for rainfall and temperature data but in general one can only conclude that
        for a particular data set one method or algorithm seemed to work best.

        You mentioned using arcview spatial software and inverse distance weighting
        with a specific choice of the search neighborhood. The results can be
        sensitive to not only the choice of the search neighborhood but also the
        choice of the exponent. See for example, Kane et al, Computers and
        Geosciences, 1982.

        If one uses kriging, i.e., a variant of kriging (simple, ordinary,
        universal, indicator, etc) then one still has to estimate and model the
        variogram as well as to choose the search neighborhood parameters. Unless
        the elevation is approximately constant over your region of interest you
        may need to incorporate that effect either by cokriging or by using an
        external drift.

        Differences in results from using different methods/algorithms may be
        considerably affected (or not) by the pattern of data locations.

        Do you want point interpolations or do you want average rainfall over
        specific subregions? Kriging will allow you to directly do the latter but
        IWD does not.

        Note that the thin plate spline and smoothing spline are both special cases
        of kriging.

        My suggestion is to search the literature more completely for papers that
        have applied different methods and try to match the specifics of one of
        those instances to your problem.

        Donald Myers
        Department of Mathematics
        University of Arizona
        Tucson, AZ 85721

        http://www.u.arizona.edu/~donaldm

          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 1, 1998
            I have a few questions on ArcView Spatial Analyst.
            (Sorry for not answering to your question.)

            c_vhagen@... sama said:
            >rainfall, both using a 300m grid size. i am using arcview spatial
            >analyst software.

            Can ArcView Spatial output interpolated values for
            several points which are listed in a table.

            I mean,

            You specify points for which you want interpolated values as follows:

            long. lat.
            8.5 135.2
            9.2 135.7
            10.3 136.0

            Then ArcView Spatial would output interpolated values to the above points
            into a file:

            long. lat. interpolated value
            8.5 135.2 23
            9.2 135.7 24
            10.3 136.0 25

            Or do you need to click each the above points on the map to see the interpolated
            values?

            How about other interpolation softwares?

            Nagao Yoshiro
            International Centre for Medical Research
            Kobe University