GEOSTATS: interpolation methods

  • Nicola Fohrer
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 1, 1997
      Dear colleagues,

      what kind of interpolation method would you recommend if the data base
      is too weak for variogram analysis?

      best wishes
      Nicola

      ********************************
      Dr. sc. agr. Nicola Fohrer
      Wissenschaftliche Assistentin
      Institut fuer Landeskultur
      Senckenbergstr. 3
      35 390 Giessen
      Tel:0641/99 37385
      Fax:0641/99 37389
      email:Nicola.Fohrer@...-giessen.de

    • Yoshiro Nagao
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 1, 1997
        Hi, Nicola

        "Nicola Fohrer" <Nicola.Fohrer@...-giessen.de> sama said:
        >Dear colleagues,
        >
        >what kind of interpolation method would you recommend if the data base
        >is too weak for variogram analysis?
        >
        >best wishes
        >Nicola

        Please find the attached opinion I received from some
        geostatistician.
        ( I am not sure he is in this ML. )

        In my opinion, method must be chosen up to the underlying
        model

        diffusion of chemical substance,
        diffusion of mosquitoes...,
        distribution of minerals in soil,

        all these seem to require different interpolation.

        Although Kriging seems to be now 'vogue', the logic is very hard to
        understand for me, and medical doctors, biologists.

        A report from Department of Environment and Community Medicine(US)
        says
        "although kriging is a statistically optimal method, it is not markedly
        better than simpler iterpolation algorithms, though it is
        considerably more complex to use."

        Also you'd better apply more than 1 method and compare their
        fittness.

        Sorry for an inadequate answer.

        International Centre for Medical Research
        Kobe University
        nagapee@...
        Nagao Yoshiro