GEOSTATS: Minimum Curvature and Cross Validation

  • soroko@netcom.ca
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 19 5:02 PM
      Hello,

      Minimum curvature is an iterative interpolation process which minimizes residuals of a Generalized
      Cross Validation. It repeats the interpolation process until all points in the data have a
      residual less than the maximum residual setting.

      I'm assuming this is how Surfer 6.0 performs its minimum curvature (please let me know if I'm
      wrong).

      The question: Is it reasonable to perform a cross validation (independent of the one that is done
      automatically) on a grid created by minimum curvature? Are the results of the cross validation
      meaningful?

      Jason Soroko
      University of Ottawa
      soroko@...