GEOSTATS: software to calculate Moran's I statistic

  • Lucinda B. Johnson
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 16, 1997
      Can someone tell me what software I can use to calculate Moran's I statistic?

      For Geoeas users: is Moran's I statistic reported in the Vario Results
      Screen anywhere?

      Thanks
      --
      Lucinda B. Johnson LJOHNSON@...
      Natural Resources Research Institute

    • munroe s
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 17, 1997
        On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Lucinda B. Johnson wrote:

        > Can someone tell me what software I can use to calculate Moran's I statistic?

        SpaceStat can compute both global and local measures of spatial
        association including Moran's I, Geary's C, G statistics, etc.

        It is available from the Regional Research Institute at (univ. of) West
        Virgina (univ.). Sorry don't have an address.

        Scott Munroe
        Dept. of Geography
        San Diego State University

      • Mike Wulder
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 17, 1997
          Lucinda,

          Moran's I may be calculated in the image processing package Idrisi if
          your data is pixel based. You may want to check out SpaceStat if you
          have non-pixel based data.

          ....Mike

          On Thu, 16 Oct 1997, Lucinda B. Johnson wrote:

          > Can someone tell me what software I can use to calculate Moran's I statistic?
          >
          > For Geoeas users: is Moran's I statistic reported in the Vario Results
          > Screen anywhere?
          >
          > Thanks
          > --
          > Lucinda B. Johnson LJOHNSON@...
          > Natural Resources Research Institute
          > University of Minnesota, Duluth
          > 5103 Miller Trunk Hwy
          > Duluth, MN 55811
          > (218) 720-4251 (voice);
          > (218) 720-9412 (FAX)

          Mike Wulder

          Waterloo Laboratory for Earth Observation
          Department of Geography
          University of Waterloo,
          Waterloo, Ontario, Canada
          N2L 3G1

          Tel. 519 888 4567, extension 5267
          Fax. 519 888 6768

          e-mail: mwulder@...

        • Erasmo Vassallo
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 25, 1997
            If someone is looking for a software to calcultate spatial statistics, the
            SPATREG program is very good.
            You can go at the address http://www.rri.wvu.edu

          • Yoshiro Nagao
            Message 5 of 6 , Nov 26, 1997
              Hello

              My posting must irritate some of
              geostaticians, as I am nothing more than a layman
              in this field, but...can I say?

              LJOHNSON@... (Lucinda B. Johnson) sama said:
              >Can someone tell me what software I can use to calculate Moran's I statistic?

              Moran's I is a index to show the degree of spatial
              clustering(-1: negative clustering 0:no clustering 1:positive clustering),
              isn't it?

              Moran's formula is so simple that it is easy to make a programme in any language
              even without any GIS package.( Actually Moran proposed it in 1950!
              for general or logical distance, not specific for spatial distance. )
              There must be some freewares in public domain.

              I made one small programme myself, but do not know
              how to prove significance of spatial clustering.

              I hear Moran himself/herself also tested the significance by Z test.

              If you want some GIS software for Moran's I,
              one which provides significance value(p val) is recommended.

              reference: Moran P. 1950 Notes on continuous stochastic phenomenon
              Biometrica 37, 17-23 .... which I cannot find in medical schools of
              my country!!! I would like to learn abroad.

              By the way, which university do you recommend to
              learn biostatistics, together with spatial analysis/remote sensing?

              >For Geoeas users: is Moran's I statistic reported in the Vario Results
              >Screen anywhere?

              What are Geoeas and Vario Results Screen?

              Nagao Yoshiro
              International Centre for Medical Research
              Kobe University
            • Don McKenzie
              Message 6 of 6 , Nov 26, 1997
                See Cliff and Ord (1981): Spatial Processes: Models and Applications
                for a discussion of distributional assumptions and significance
                testing for Moran's I.

                dmck

                DON MCKENZIE

                Ecosystem Science and Conservation Division
                College of Forest Resources, Box 352100
                University of Washington
                Seattle, WA 98195

                206.543.9138