  • Richard Gaze
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 1997
      >I have seen reference to a modeling method referred to casually as "ASH." I
      >know next to nothing and have only heard mention of this method as a faster
      >substitute to kriging with fewer distortions at the boarders. Could someone
      >point me to where to get information on this procedure.

      ASH is special case of discretized kernel smoothing technique (WARPING):
      it use
      - discretized triangular kernel
      - same grid for both prebinning (data) and postbinning (estimation
      and interpolation).

      estimating with linear interpolation in postbinning (plotting for ex.)
      is quite as accurate as usual kernel estimates: the ratio of bin width

      Does any of this have any practical worth in mining applications?

      Richard Gaze
      MRT Perth WA