GEOSTATS: variogram modelling

  • Vijay Sathya
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 19, 1997
      Phd student in distress
      I'am a phd student(in switzerland) working on uncertainity analysis in
      air pollution modelling.A part of the uncertainity comes from the
      interpolation process.I've just finished analysing data sets for
      temperature in the domain and the variogram structure during the day is
      very different from that during the night.

      So if I intend to use kriging must I build and use different variogram models
      for the night and day periods.??

      Is second order stationarity a must in the variogram model used for kriging??

      I would also like to have some information on softwares for variogram
      modelling.

      I would be extremely gratefull for any assistance provided.

      Thanking all of you
      vijay sathya

      vijay. sathya
      Assistant-doctorant
      Numerical modelling group
      L.P.A.S
      DGR-E.P.F.L
      Swiss federal research institute
      CH-1015,lausanne
      phone: (+41) 21 693 2726
      fax: (+41) 21 693 3626

    • Wiktoria Daniels
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 21, 1998
        I am interested in obtaining programs that may be used to
        automatically fit a model variogram. My application requires
        large numbers of variograms to be fitted to small datasets therefore
        speed and consistency are important. However, the code need not
        attempt to resolve any complex structure as it is likely that
        there will be insufficient information available for this to be
        practical.
        Does anyone know of any software suitable for the above application ?
        Any method is fine e.g. fitting by least squares but I would prefer,
        although any language is probably ok, source code in FORTRAN so that
        I can easily fit it together with other tools.
        I will post a summary of any responses sent directly.
        Many thanks,
        Wiktoria Daniels
        email wiktoria.daniels@...
      • Wiktoria Daniels
        Message 3 of 3 , May 14, 1998
          My original request for help;

          >I am interested in obtaining programs that may be used to
          >automatically fit a model variogram. My application requires
          >large numbers of variograms to be fitted to small datasets therefore
          >speed and consistency are important. However, the code need not
          >attempt to resolve any complex structure as it is likely that
          >there will be insufficient information available for this to be
          >practical.
          >Does anyone know of any software suitable for the above application ?
          >Any method is fine e.g. fitting by least squares but I would prefer,
          >although any language is probably ok, source code in FORTRAN so that
          >I can easily fit it together with other tools.
          >I will post a summary of any responses sent directly.

          Summary of responses

          Many thanks to everyone who took the time to reply to my request.
          Programs which were suggested to be of use were;

          1) SAGE95; a powerful software package that calculates and
          automatically models sample variograms (2 or 3D) (1 or 2
          nested structures). You can download the program at the web site
          www.isaaks.com
          Edward Isaaks
          Keith Blair

          2) A least-squares method that works using the GSLIB package. The code c=
          an
          be downloaded from the ftp site (ftp.iamg.org). The paper describing
          the method can be found in Computers and Geoscience (Vol
          22.no4,pp387-397).
          Keith Blair

          3) The unix version of Geoeas (see the softfaq of AI-GEOSTATS).
          (uncertain whether the dos version has an automatic fitting).
          Gr=E9goire Dubois

          4) The S+ spatial module, bearing in mind the need to learn the
          programming. There is a good book to lead you though, "Statistical models
          in S+" Chambers and Hastie 1993. See Isaaks and Srivastava 1989 to avoid
          violating any assumptions.
          Cathy Schloeder
          Michael Jacobs

          5) 250 variograms have been computed semi-automatically for the Kola
          Ecochemistry Project, from which an Atlas has just been released:
          Environmental Geochemical Atlas of the Central Barents Region (1998):
          NGU, Trondheim, Norway. (See also
          http://www.statistik.tuwien.ac.at/public/dutt/das/Kola/
          -- and their the report --or http://www.ngu.no .)
          All the geostatistical computations (e.g. variograms) were made
          using the program GEOSAN, which was developed at the department and
          is also commercially available from it.
          Rudolph Dutter

          6) VARIOWIN and GSLIB were also suggested, although these require user
          interaction.
          Carme Hervada-Sala
          Burak Yeten

          7) GSTAT http://www.frw.ruu.nl/gstat/