GEOSTATS: Clustering

  • THE ROCKSTER
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 17, 1997
      Dear all,

      I work for the National Park Service and we are studying desert tortoises
      here at Joshua Tree. We wish to know what the distribution of the
      tortoises is- random/clustered/whatever. We walked along transects to
      find them, and now have 200 sightings to analyze. I was looking through
      the software at ai-geostats but I am not sure which program works for our
      needs. We also have Splus available to us. Can anyone make a suggestion
      on what we should try using? I don't think we want a dendrogram- I think
      I want an index that will tell us if they are clumped or not, and
      hopefully how many clumps. Obviously I am not a stats master. Please
      help!

      Thanks,

      Michael Rock
      Biological Technician
      Joshua Tree National Park

    • Dan Wartenberg
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 17, 1997
        There are a variety of clustering methods that include some aspect of
        spatial proximity. Some also include temporal proximity. Can you
        describe your sampling design in a bit more detail, please?

        Daniel Wartenberg
        Environmental and Occupational Health Sciences Institute
        681 Frelinghuysen Road, Piscataway, NJ 08855
        voice: 908-445-0197 fax: 908-445-0784 email: dew@...