GEOSTATS: SUM: Q: References on ANN's in mineral exploration

  • Juan P. Rigol
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 9, 1997
      Hello all. I've received two responses to my query, which
      are shown below (a summary). I would like to thank Umberto
      Fracassi and Dr. Patrick M Wong for his kind answer.

      I've been thinking about why one can hardly find one or two
      papers on this field (?). Maybe, one reason for this could be
      the difficulty in selecting suitable training areas. Those
      areas should include known deposits but also points where
      no undiscovered deposits could exist (really difficult!).
      It seems that there exist some ann's which can deal with
      uncertainty in the training data, but I'd like to hear
      from people dealing with b-p/feedforward nn's applied to
      "troublesome" data sets.

      Thanks in advance.
      Regards.

      from Umberto Fracassi
      NATO-SACLANT Unsersea Research Centre
      Environmental Reearch Division - LSG
      Italy
      fracassi@...

      "You may be aware of the Neural Network and Remote
      Sensing SI Group in the UK (but it's actually EU-wide)."
      from Dr. Patrick M Wong
      Centre for Petroleum Engineering
      The University of South Wales
      Sydney
      Australia
      PM.Wong@...

      "I have two references which relate to petroleum geology.
      Hope it helps.
      Huang and Williamson, 199, ANN modelling as an aid to source
      rock characterisation, Marine and Petroleum Geology, 13(2),
      277-290.
      Baldwin et al., 1990, Application of a Neural Network to the
      Problem of Mineral Identification from Well Logs, The Log
      Analyst, Sept-Oct, 1990."

      Juan P. Rigol,
      RS & GIS Lab _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
      Dept. of Geodynamics _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/ _/ _/_/_/
      Faculty of Sciences _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/ _/
      University of Granada _/ _/ _/_/_/ _/_/_/ _/ _/_/_/
      Granada. Spain
      E-mail: jrigol@...