GEOSTATS: Spatial similarity (physical, geometric and functional)

  • Alec Holt
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 1997
      Hello,

      My primary interests are with GIS, Environmental Modelling, CBR
      and AI.

      The concept I am grappling with at the moment is;
      Can spatial problems be solved/understood using
      other similar spatial phenomena?

      I am assuming that it is possible to define and measure spatial
      similarity.

      As a starting point, spatial similarity is defined as
      those regions which, at a particular granularity (scale) and context
      (thematic properties) are considered similar. Similar may be
      determined by any one of a number of methods; case-based reasoning,
      fuzzy membership, rough sets, data mining and knowledge discovery and
      various statistical techniques to mention just a few.

      It is important to accept that similarity must be defined by variables
      that can be measured and ranked in some manner.

      I realise that different researchers are focusing on similar themes
      from different directions. I am trying to ascertain what types
      of techniques are available and what people are using them for.

      Cheers
      Alec

      Alec Holt
      (Research Fellow for Tourism, Research Assistant for Management and Phd student in Information Science Department)

      Information Science Department
      University of Otago
      P.O.Box 56
      Dunedin
      New Zealand
      e-mail aholt@...
      Fax : +64 03 479 8311
      Tel : +64 03 479 5398

      I'm an editor of a newsletter see this page
      http://divcom.otago.ac.nz:800/epmrc/

      My formal page
      http://divcom.otago.ac.nz:800/sirc/webpages/sircteam.htm

      My less formal page