GEOSTATS: Generating artificial dispersions of points onto landscapes ?

  • Martin Dillon
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 29, 1997
      Hello...

      I'm hoping to find some code or ideas that will help me to generate
      artificial dispersions of points upon a 2 dimensional landscape, that when
      sampled, will match specific negative-binomial distributions.

      As background, I'm an entomologist, and my specific aim is to create or generate
      a range of "virtual insect infestations" onto a 2 dimensional grid (= a
      crop). We plan to then use the resulting distributions to test some
      hypotheses about insect damage to individual plants in a field and its
      impact on the total crop yield.

      I have algorithms for generating lists of variates from negative-binomial
      distributions. But I am unsure about how to move these variates onto x,y
      coordinates of a 2 dimensional grid. The result must create a dispersion of
      points that mimics a potential real distribution of insects. The
      distribution must match my specific parameters (m, k) for the
      negative-binomial.

      Any help, or pointers, or references to published work would be greatly
      appreciated.

      Thanks in advance,
      Martin

      Martin L. Dillon http://www.uq.edu.au/~tpmdillo/
      CSIRO Division of Entomology Tel: +61 67 991500
      PO Box 59 Narrabri NSW 2390 Fax: +61 67 931186
      AUSTRALIA E-mail: martind@...