GEOSTATS: Chaininess

  • Greg Dutkowski
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 3, 1997
      Hello.
      I am a Ph.D student working on using spatial analysis for the improved
      analysis of a variety of traits in tree breeding trials. I have found a
      number of traits that have a clumpy distribution for which autocorrelation
      type models are very useful. I have however found a trait where the
      expression seems to be in chains rather than clumps. The trait is
      defoliation by a caterpillar - what I think happens is that after
      defoliating a tree they move to the next tree by heading towards darkness
      (i.e trees with lots of foliage) and thus after the initial attack they
      head off in a random direction but then tend to keep heading in the same
      sort of direction.

      Is anyone aware of any statistical tests for "chaininess" as opposed to
      "clumpiness"?

      Thanks.

      Please note change of email address
      Greg Dutkowski
      Tree Breeder
      Cooperative Research Centre for Temperate Hardwood Forestry
      c/- Plant Science Department
      University of Tasmania
      GPO Box 252-12 HOBART 7001
      Ph (03)6226 7667 (03)6226 2698