Re: GEOSTATS: assessment of line uncertainty models

  • Gerard Heuvelink
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 19 1:39 AM
      > Subject: GEOSTATS: assessment of line uncertainty models
      > To: ai-geostats@...
      > Date: Wed, 18 Jun 97 14:14:27 MDT
      > From: "Ali Asghar Alesheikh" <aaaleshe@...>

      > Hi,
      > I am looking for an in depth assessment of different uncertainty
      > models of line objects in GIS (Epsilon band, error band, ...).
      > Any help is welcome.

      Dear Ali,

      My own interest is not so much in positional uncertainty of spatial objects
      but much more in attribute uncertainty and its propagation in GIS. However, I
      can give you a few references on modelling positional uncertainty:

      Keefer et al. (1991), Modeling and evaluating the effects of stream mode
      digitizing errors on map variables. PE&RS 57, 957-963.

      Edwards and Lowell (1996), Modeling uncertainty in photointerpreted boundaries.
      PE&RS 62, 337-391.

      Hunter and Goodchild (1996), A new model for handling vector data uncertainty
      in Geographic Information Systems. URISA Journal 8, 51-57.

      Kiiveri (1997), Assessing, representing and transmitting positional uncertainty
      in maps. International Journal of Geographical Information Science 11, 33-52.

      The latter paper is quite rigorous but mathematically involved. Still I like it
      best.

      Coming from Canada, you might find it useful to contact Kim Lowell and his
      group at Laval University, Quebec. They are also very much interested in
      positional uncertainty and much more the modelling of gradual rather than
      abrupt boundaries, be it in forestry though. In fact I have done myself some
      work that is more or less in this research area: Heuvelink (1996),
      Identification of field attribute error under different models of spatial
      variation. Int.J.GIS 10, 921-935.

      You might also be interested in participating in the 3rd International
      Symposium on Spatial Accuracy Assessment in Natural Resources and Environmental
      Sciences, May 20-22, 1998, Quebec City, Canada (more information at
      http://www.crg.ulaval.ca/).

      I hope this information is useful to you.

      Best wishes, Gerard Heuvelink.

      Gerard B.M. Heuvelink
      Faculty of Environmental Sciences
      University of Amsterdam