Re: GEOSTATS: data sets

  • Geoffrey HENEBRY
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 21, 1997
      On Tue, 21 Jan 1997 jsolka@... wrote:

      > I am currently teaching a topics course in spatial statistics at the advanced
      > undergraduate/beginning graduate level at George Mason University. This is the
      > second time that I have taught the course and we are using the book by Bailey
      > and Gatrell as the primary reference along with the S+ spatial package as a
      > compute engine. In addition the students can buy Cressie's book as an optional
      > reference. The focus of the course is primarily data analysis in flavor and
      > hence I am always looking for interesting data sets. The course provides an
      > introductory treatment to point data, lattice data, geostatistical data, and
      > spatial interaction data.
      >
      > I would appreciate pointers from the group on good data sets that are net
      > accessible. One of my areas of interest is in epidemeological data so pointers
      > in that area will be particularly appreciated.

      jeff, an exercise that i find useful is to take an exhaustive data set,
      such as a satellite image of NDVI, and pull out a series of random
      subsets. give these to the class to calc variograms, fit models, & krige
      -- but don't tell them what the data are. then gather the results & compare
      them against the "truth". useful lessons are to be gained about sampling,
      scale, and challenges of nonstationarity.

      not exactly to your point, but within range ;)

      tchau, geoff

      Geoffrey M. Henebry Assistant Professor
      Dept. of Biological Sciences (201) 648-5053 (voice)
      Rutgers University (201) 648-5518 (fax)
      Newark, NJ 07102 USA henebry@...