GEOSTATS: Geostatistics in polar coordinates?

  • E. John Sadler
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 11, 1997
      Hello the GEOSTAT list,

      We have an application for which polar coordinates may better
      represent some of the relationships in space. For a center pivot
      irrigation machine, most factors external to the pivot (soils,
      insects, weather) will be well described by cartesian coordinates.
      However, factors internal to the pivot system (variance in
      sprinklers, failed valves, etc) will be related either along the
      radius or around the arc. A stuck valve, for instance, would
      describe a circle in its effect on the crop. An altered speed
      setting would cause a pie-shaped wedge to show up in the crop.

      Has anyone worked in polar coordinates, or, better, the sum of a
      polar and a cartesian system?

      Analyses of spatial variance under conventional and site-specific
      pivots would be facilitated if this were possible.

      I would appreciate any thoughts you may have regarding this.

      Thanks
      John
      E. John Sadler, Ph.D.
      USDA-ARS sadler@...
      Coastal Plains Soil, Water,
      and Plant Research Center 803-669-5203x112 (voice)
      2611 West Lucas St. 803-669-6970 (fax)
      Florence, SC 29501-1241
      U.S.A.